Live Washing Machine Drum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New washing machine, plugged in and plumbed. Just by chance with 1 hand touching the adjacent SS sink unit and 1 hand touched the washer drum I got a really bad shock. On checking measure voltage was found to be 110VAC.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
floating CPC.

Do you have main bonding installed in your house?

Yes I have read the topic you sent thanks, seemed slightly different problem. You get a definate tingly shock with or without shoes and only when touching both the drum and sink.

Brand new house all the bonding seems to be in place as required.

Checked out the dishwasher, tumble drier for similar voltages and they are all clear

Sponsored Links
do you have the offending washing machine and your multi meter close to hand?

Can you measure a voltage form the drum to the sink all the time, or just when the washer is switched on?

Can you measure a voltage between the drum of the washer, and the fixing screws of the socket it is plugged into?

Can you measure a voltage between the sink and socket fixing screws of the socket which the washer plugs into?

If you unplug the washing machine can you check the resistance from the drum to the earth pin on the plug?

Voltage is only present when power at socket is switched on.
No voltage to socket fixing screw when switched on or off.
No voltage betwen sink and fixing screw.
No resistance reading from drum to earth pin on plug.

Can you check to see if there is a resistance reading between the chassis of the washing machine and the earth pin on the plug? Is the plug a moulded one or a rewirable type one? Can you check the wiring in the plug?

No resistance, moulded plug.
Washing machine engineer coming tomorrow (warranty) but I'm still wondering if its the house electrics

No resistance or no reading? When you touch the probes of your meter together it should read approx 0 ohms. With them apart it should read infinity. When testing the washing machine to the earth pin it should have a very low reading i.e. slightly above 0 ohms.

Its just reading zero same as when you touch the probes together. Just rechecked again.

It sounds like you may have a problem with the CPC (earth) to the socket. Firstly turn off the electricity to the circuit, can you measure the resistance between the suspect socket mounting screw and an adjacent socket?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry for not replying earlier out all day yesterday.
Washing machine engineer stymied couldn't fault the machine, tried an extension lead to another socket and the fault disappeared.
So house wiring at fault. Builders electrician coming tomorrow to start checking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back