Washing Machine drum is giving me elecric shocks.

A current as low as 2 - 5mA is the 'threshold of perception of pain' for most people, so I wouldn't expect the RCD to be tripping unless the OP was getting a more painful shock. Obviously there is no way of knowing anything quantifiable without getting the place tested...

Sponsored Links
Could this be a "reversed earth" situation

This could be the case if the drum is properly earthed via the supply cable to a good earth but the floor is not at ground potential due to a live to ground fault elsewhere in the room or building.

As to shocks only from the drum. If the case of the machine is enamalled then there is adequate insulation to prevent shock by touching. (( but not enough to be considered as insulated ))

what if maybe the current is not enought to trip the RCD. also maybe in the flex between the plug and the washer the earth hs got damaged somehow and isnt giving protection? just a random thought.

A current as low as 2 - 5mA is the 'threshold of perception of pain' for most people

So most books say, anyone who has used an IR tester in a careless manner will tell you that 1ma is a little past 'threshold of perception' and into 'pretty damn uncomfortable' territory :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I am hoping to get a good electrician to come round to test the system next week. I have just had my kitchen refitted and rewired. I therfore took a extention cable and linked the washing machine to the kitchen. From the kicthen the washing machine does not give me a shock. I tried all 5 sockets in the kitchen.

I then tried linking my machine to every other rooms downsairs. I get shocks from all of them except for the kitchen. The kitchen fitter explained that he thought there could be a earth leakage on the wiring on the house. He will get an expert electrician to come and test the house to see if he can find the problem with special earth tester.

Meanwhile I will get an RCD to protect the washing machine until he comes to solve the problem.

To answer some previous question:
John- I tried follwing the Y/G cable back from the washing machine but could not identify how and where it links to the fusebox as it disapears behind a wall. The kicthen fitter could not identify it iether where it links up.

Josper- the powere suply comes from the roof via cable off a pole.

Thanks for all your help. I feel that there is no more that you guys can help now. Will leave it to the test. I will let you know what the problem is when it is solved?

Thanks Tristan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back