Live within your means!

"How much will a dishwasher cost to run? Dishwashers will have an official rating for energy efficiency, but this doesn't guarantee that you're getting the most efficient machine. When we test dishwashers, we base it on real-life scenarios, using the programs you use most often. We calculate the energy running costs a machine uses and find significant differences between the best and worst regardless of energy label. The least efficient full-sized dishwasher we've tested would add £104 to your annual energy bill, while the most efficient adds just £61. Use our running cost tool below to find the dishwasher that will cost the most and least over their life. And use the search bar to find a specific model or brand."

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dishwashers/article/best-dishwashers-a7kCM8e76yeF - Which?

We estimate that the lifetime of a dishwasher is 17 years on average, based on a September 2020 survey of 12,000 Which? members. Purchase price is the typical price you would pay for the dishwasher online. Annual cost is based on running five normal washes per week, with an energy price of 28p per kWh.

When it comes to water use, we've found full-sized machines that use just half a litre of water per place setting.

Sponsored Links
In a rented home? Where the landlord paid for the cost of the dishwasher and installation? And repairs? And these costs are bundled into the rent you pay? Even if you choose not to use it?
and who says the landlord provided it , it is only a minority of rented accommodation that would come with a dish washer

And she does not ask if she should buy a dishwasher, she already has one, and says she is economising when running it only when full. Which is perfectly sensible. The cost of buying a dishwasher is irrelevant in this case.

Some crotchety old fellow seems offended that a person living in a house that has a dishwasher is feeling the effects of price inflation plus stagnant wages plus increase in NI.

And she does not ask if she should buy a dishwasher, she already has one, and says she is economising when running it only when full. Which is perfectly sensible. The cost of buying a dishwasher is irrelevant in this case.

Some crotchety old plumber seems offended that a person living in a house that has a dishwasher is feeling the effects of price inflation plus stagnant wages plus increase in NI.
not seen any plumbers commenting on this you making things up yet again ?

Sponsored Links
"How much will a dishwasher cost to run? Dishwashers will have an official rating for energy efficiency, but this doesn't guarantee that you're getting the most efficient machine. When we test dishwashers, we base it on real-life scenarios, using the programs you use most often. We calculate the energy running costs a machine uses and find significant differences between the best and worst regardless of energy label. The least efficient full-sized dishwasher we've tested would add £104 to your annual energy bill, while the most efficient adds just £61. Use our running cost tool below to find the dishwasher that will cost the most and least over their life. And use the search bar to find a specific model or brand."

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dishwashers/article/best-dishwashers-a7kCM8e76yeF - Which?

We estimate that the lifetime of a dishwasher is 17 years on average, based on a September 2020 survey of 12,000 Which? members. Purchase price is the typical price you would pay for the dishwasher online. Annual cost is based on running five normal washes per week, with an energy price of 28p per kWh.

When it comes to water use, we've found full-sized machines that use just half a litre of water per place setting.
When our dishwasher packed up after 21 years, we found out just how much water we used washing up by hand during the day. Our new one is more efficient than the old one but the eco setting which uses 9.5 litres of water and uses 0.95kWh of electricity takes about 3 hours! We put it on every night.

I've not got a dishwasher but have used other people's and have always found them to be a load of crap. You end up taking the dishes out at the end and washing them by hand.

Dishwashers are amazing - save time, energy and water.

If some folks don’t have them, more fool you!

Clearly this lady had a dishwasher and could previously afford some luxuries like a tv subscription, now she is cutting back. Sure she’s not on the point of starvation, but the article isn’t about that…this lady is given examples of where she has cut what she can from her expenditure.

I don’t understand some of logic on this thread. Should this lady also be washing her clothes by beating them on a rock by a local river, or is she allowed (in your views) to have and use a washing machine…no matter if she bought it or it was already at her property when she arrived?!

All these dishwasher posts. Missing the point completely. Some one has an income. Prices of various things go up and not enough coming in any more. So chooses to end a subscription service that costs £8 a month and buy cheaper where possible on everything else.

Against that price of power increases by £52 /month. Family of 4 with 2 kids that are growing so need new clothes from time to time. |The 1 year old will be worse for that.

All these pearls of wisdom posted - what does it cost to feed a family of 4?

Most people dont have a dishwasher as they lack space in the kitchen or go for a small one which is next to useless.

The up-market Amaericna villas on golf courses have massive one as we often stay in those the dishwashers are A1. We wish we could have one of those in England but it would not fit in with the kitchen so we got the biggest and best one and once you get used to it, its no turning back. Use the best detergents and keep the dishwasher clean other it can smell. They use a lot less electric that driers and we use the cloth driers all year round as hanging out your laundry is so common.

No way. Perhaps you forgot to put soap in the dispenser or just did a rinse?

My regime is one hand wash per day, usually after dinner. I stack them up rinsed until that one wash. I don't dry them, I just rinse under running cold at a dribble and leave to dry. Only if it is worthwhile with lots to be done, do I fire up the dishwasher, though sometimes I will take previously washed items out of cupboards and drawers to fill up the machine.

A machine wash is more thorough than a hand-wash - it uses more aggresive chemicals and hotter water.

My regime is one hand wash per day, usually after dinner. I stack them up rinsed until that one wash. I don't dry them, I just rinse under running cold at a dribble and leave to dry. Only if it is worthwhile with lots to be done, do I fire up the dishwasher, though sometimes I will take previously washed items out of cupboards and drawers to fill up the machine.

A machine wash is more thorough than a hand-wash - it uses more aggresive chemicals and hotter water.
We just stack it up during the day. Breakfast, lunch, numerous cups of tea and our evening meal which is usually cooked fresh and not a 'pop and ping' meal. Can just about close the door by the end of the day. Our daughter and son-in-law in the other hand have a slimline dishwasher and rarely have breakfast, have lunch at work and often eat out in the evening. They only use it every two to three days.

I never knew they did that but vaguely possibly wrongly recall seeing a gas-operated fridge years ago. Without google, i am guess they will cost more and more to go wrong
domestic gas tumble driers took off big style about 30 years ago but last manufacturer white knight went bust few years ago . they were very reliable . Gas fridges and fridge/freezers used to be popular in 70/80s but now just used in caravans /holiday parks . The gas radio`s were very cheap to run ;)

Sponsored Links
Back