Live within your means!

My wife wont have a dishwashing machine. I know some people take several days to load them up before using them. I suspect the rinse stuff off with hot water before they go in anyway or do you?

Sponsored Links
And this

View attachment 270008

One of them had depreciated like stink with the cost of diesel now…but I have hopes the other two will appreciate sufficiently to at least cover their running costs :D
One of my all time favourite cars. Thank you for sharing.
Personally I can't imagine spending a big chunk of cash on a nice car. I'm not a petrolhead by any stretch.
But I'm glad some people do own such beautiful things, and it looks like you look after it.

I live on my own and HATE doing dishes. I try to be good and wash them every day, that lasts 2-3 days and I slip off the washing up wagon. By the end of the week I often have a mini tower of dishes to clean :(

No room for a dish washer.

One of my all time favourite cars. Thank you for sharing.
Personally I can't imagine spending a big chunk of cash on a nice car. I'm not a petrolhead by any stretch.
But I'm glad some people do own such beautiful things, and it looks like you look after it.
Thanks. I’m part of the Sporting Bears charity which gives people rides in these cars in return for a donation to charity. I’m doing events in Liverpool City Centre and Aintree in September, so if you’re close by you’re welcome to come for a spin.

Sponsored Links
People are making money from breeding cats and dogs, especially during lockdown I read.
They said you need a licence to do that and rightly so but I bet you many do it, especially now
when everything is going up and these people are too foolish to cut back on their living costs/enjoyment so resort to that.

My wife wont have a dishwashing machine. I know some people take several days to load them up before using them. I suspect the rinse stuff off with hot water before they go in anyway or do you?
No need to remove as much as you would for bowl washing-up. If you left bones on the plates they'd just collect in the neat basket!

The tablet jizzm cleans things like tea tannin off the dishes better than fairy liquid, and the soap is rinsed off, unlike in a bowl unless you do two processes. No dubiously grubby "tea towel" either.

But they use 1.5 - 2kWhr so even at night 30-50p then the tabs are pricey at around 20p each.

Mental riffmetic -it's around 0.1kWHr to boil 1l of water (You need enough for "12 places", remember) so, 2 kettles? .... maybe 12p today daytime electric, it should be less for gas but there are more losses than a kettle.

W-u-l is £1 - £2.50 a litre.

So it's if the order of DW 60p vs Wup 15p.

Or for my OH who puts it on every day quarter full, that's probably £4.20 versus 30p a week.

But who would actually notice £200 a year, and it's a lot of faff to wash up every single day. If you only do it once a day you have to have stuff on view all day .:(

Last edited:
I live on my own and HATE doing dishes. I try to be good and wash them every day, that lasts 2-3 days and I slip off the washing up wagon. By the end of the week I often have a mini tower of dishes to clean :(

No room for a dish washer.

Mine is in the utility, which in colder weather is through two doors, so it involves carrying items back and forth loaded onto a tray. I always rinse dirty plates etc. under cold water, after use, to remove the worst of the debris, whether I intend hand or machine washing. If I dine out, it's not worth doing just the cups - I just stack them up rinsed for the next day.

Arrogant and revolting as usual.
The comments often use terms like these people which means not me really and indicates a complete lack of knowledge on how much people may have available to live on. This essentially is why people can finish up on support even if they are working. Personally I have always thought that is a bit strange as it indicates they are not paid enough but then comes how many hours can they work and mention of people getting 2 jobs as a solution. The reason these areas crop up is not fiction. People are in these situations. Millions of them. Just because some one doesn't know one it doesn't mean they don't exist.

The other problem is expectations. Rammed down peoples throats all of the time. Kids cost too. A common expectation.

The comments often use terms like these people which means not me really and indicates a complete lack of knowledge on how much people may have available to live on. This essentially is why people can finish up on support even if they are working. Personally I have always thought that is a bit strange as it indicates they are not paid enough but then comes how many hours can they work and mention of people getting 2 jobs as a solution. The reason these areas crop up is not fiction. People are in these situations. Millions of them. Just because some one doesn't know one it doesn't mean they don't exist.

The other problem is expectations. Rammed down peoples throats all of the time. Kids cost too. A common expectation.
Yes, one poster in particular tends to use phrases like "these people", or "most people " followed by something pointedly pejorative, rather a lot. It seems strange to present oneself on a forum and then proceed to be so unpleasant and unwanted. Oh well.

I can think of an example or two where through no fault of the person, they can't get a job which pays better than minimum wage. Neither would be capable say, of doing the supermarket delivery person's job which at just under £11 is a little over min wage.
A local job "receptionist" only pays a little over that. (24k).

If the person has a wife & kid they need, say a 2 bed flat or maybe a 1 bed. Near me that's about £330pw rent.
If mum works for another 440/wk, , full time childcare is 240-270 pw.

I went to the benefits calculator. They would get the childcare covered.

SO £550 a week (880 - 330) to live on. Hmmm...

Attachments

• F4893843-A744-4429-A290-C3ABB82FFEFF.jpeg
    F4893843-A744-4429-A290-C3ABB82FFEFF.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 26
The price of a 2 bed flat around here in a block is ~£170 / week. I don't think one bed and a kid can work for long so 2 are often going to be needed. 2 may be ok for having 2 kids. No flats shown with 3 bedrooms. Properties from £850 to 1200 / month say £230 / week. There will be 3 bed flats somewhere. Coventry pops up and £1400 / month for a flat. I don't live in a terribly expensive area. Houses large and range from around £450k on a fairly busy road and a lot more off it. Probably increased of late.

;) I've intended to try a benefit calculator to see how well it works out for people. One thing I noticed was the need to work for 16hr min a week for one aspect. I thought child care was only covered for 2 days but that may be for all. :( It wasn't when I was paying it.

It's hard to know what it all means in practice really. All jobs are not full time. Preti mentioned that there are 2.5m people permanently on the economically inactive list that can't find a job. It's a fact that some can't. I have heard 2nd hand but reliable that people over 50 who find themselves unemployed can find it extremely difficult to find another job. Areas that are run down have less jobs available. Even in B'ham there are a stupid number of people who come in from surrounding areas daily for work. There are only so many jobs available and employers want people suitable for the job they are offering. I know several people who do low pay limited hours work at a local church and care centre that also has a cafe. They stick with it because it's a reliable source of work, permanent. Some aren't. As it's a church they pay the living version of the min hourly rate as well.

TBH I take the quoted numbers of people living in child and fuel poverty seriously. I don't think they are wildly distorted. The other aspect is what does poverty mean. People need to cloth themselves, meet transport costs, internet and something to plug into it, a phone. Then they need food and fuels. I see all of those as realistic basics. Along comes covid and we find some parent can't afford the internet or something to plug into it. Some will need a car. Fact of life in some areas even to work, 2 in some cases as both partners work. This sort of thing crops up in countried areas and where negligeable jobs are available locally. There are plenty of those. The cars may not be bought for cash.

I can see food prices increasing further irrespective of effects due to fuel prices. While inflation may fall from 9% to say 2 that wont be reflected in prices unless there is excess available. This to me suggests we are heading for a recession. It might even cause one in house prices. Landlord nightmare style. I can't see the gov coving all via support but as it's something they wont want to happen they will probably try. One day that may not work. The latest is mortgage guarantees allowing lower deposits. There has been many ideas used in the past. They all allow prices to continue to increase.

Take milk for instance. Cost of maintaining the cows has increased so farmers reduce feed = less milk production. Fertilisers are used for all sorts. Thanks to Russia prices have rocketed.

While inflation may fall from 9% to say 2 that wont be reflected in prices unless there is excess available.

Everyone is suggesting a world wide major recession, made worse by first the covid, with close on it's heals Russia's crazy action.

Sponsored Links
Back