Living room dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am looking for some help regarding a new dimmer switch I am installing in my living room.

I have removed a double plastic switch in favour of a new metal one. The wires going into the plastic one were red, blue, yellow and then it was earthed. L1 contained the red which also had a "jumper" wire to the other L1.

The L2's had the blue and yellow in them. Now the new switch has L1, L2 and ~.

I have wired the metal one up (having earthed it) exactly the same way and nothing !!! does anybody have any ideas ?

The old plastic switch has "com" under both L1 ports if that is any help. I have replaces most of my switches but this one is really having me scratch my head.......

Sponsored Links
On your dimmer ~ = COM on the old switch.
L1 and L2 should be the same.

There must have been wires in the COM terminals on the old switch. What wires went there?

There is only 1 of each wire, and a jumper red wire,

the main red went into L1 with the jumper wire in the same one and linked to the other L1

The blue and yellow went into the L2 ports

Com is lightly printed on the plate below each L1 port

So thats how I have wired up the new plate but nothing

thanks

OK

Put red wire to ~ and link to the other ~

Put yellow in one L2
Put blue into the other L2

If it doesn't work post a pic of the old switch on here.

Sponsored Links
Ok I will give it a shot now - cheers, hopefully it will help

Quick update soon

Put the red in one of the ~ terminals with the link across to the other.
Put the other 2 wires in the L1 terminal, nothing in L2's.
I assume its a 2 gang 2 way dimmer you have (push on/off), your old one was a one way but it doesn't matter.

And make sure the face plate is earthed since it's metal (not just the back box).

Edit: must type quicker...

Worked a treat !!! thanks for your help, dunno why I just didnt try that in the first place.

Top quality advice

Cheers

Tooooo slow !!

rotfl.gif

Kev you are mistaken, your descrition would never work.

Put the red into common and link to the other common.

Put the yellow and blue separately into each of the L1 terminals.

Honestly thats how it was wired, I have just changed the reds over to the ~ and left the blue and yellow in the L2's and it's worked fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back