The car was not overloaded how ever the roof was DOH :oops:

Current Meriva depending on engine gross vehicle weight 1785-2046kg (You know what the mordel is and the first page of "operation, safety and maintenance" in the Manual.

Kerb Weight of car around 1400kg - Again you know which model it is
Roof rack - 10kg
Driver say 70kg

Rough count 30 sheets @ 28 kg = approx 900kg (You know how many you bought)

And you think the car wasn't overloaded!

RTFM BEFORE YOU PUT ANYONE ELSE AT RISK AGAIN.

And it doesn't matter how well you fasten it to the roofrack to the car the roofrack will come off the car in an accident or heavyt braking.

Sponsored Links
did not realise the car load was so low must almost be over loaded with 4 adults in such as myself, Ie 125kg x 4 not a squeeze in the back

did not realise the car load was so low must almost be over loaded with 4 adults in such as myself, Ie 125kg x 4 not a squeeze in the back
Actually, although it sounds daft, it is actually quite easy to overload quite a few cars just by sitting people in them. This doesn't just apply to small cars either, it also applies to things like minibusses - stick a typical rugby team (and their gear) in a Transit minibus and it could well be significantly overloaded (depending on the model, some have significantly more capacity than others).

Sponsored Links
On a related note, I was in a B&Q car park the other week and a guy had just finished tying a single 6ft x 4ft (ish) sheet of ply onto his roof rack. He'd used a single ratchet to tie it left-hand-side to right-hand-side, but nothing at all from front to back (and, of course, the longer length was front-to-back).

I went up and politely, I thought, said "'scuse me mate - would you mind a bit of advice? You really need to strap that down front to back because it will lift, even at low speed, plus a single strap won't stop it sliding off the back".

He told me to f*k off.

Oh well - I could have followed him to watch the fun, but would have ended up with a windscreen full of board for my trouble...

Yeah, if you try to be helpful, the abuse gets a bit tiring after a while. Trouble is, after a few cases you tend to stop - it's not worth the agro. Just hope you never learnt the truth of this poem http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/blog/i-could-have-saved-a-life-today/

My office window overlooks the main road out of town. It's amazing what some people will do. A common one is twin axle plant trailers hooked up to a wagon with the hitch far too high - one day I saw one where the front wheels weren't actually on the ground. So grossly overloaded rear axle and chassis.

But closer to the topic, the number of times I see things going past with sheets or planks flapping around. Some of these are clearly "pros", some sign written flatbed with a load of fascia boards dropped on the ladder rack and only tied at the ladder rack. And I know some of them don't make it without the board folding in half - because I've seen some of them with folded boards sticking out in all directions :LOL:

Plain selfish and a blatant dis-regard for other people really.

The main thing you should be thinking about when loading up is safety, and other people. Not about getting your materials home in one piece. I wouldn't of even put a single sheet on that roof rack, there's simply no good anchor points.

And as for the straps being good enough... well, I'd put two of them straps on a 3m length of "Twinplas" guttering on a Transit van with a Rhino roof rack whilst at work lol. It isn't worth the risk. Seeing things like this on the road make my blood absolutely boil, it doesn't bare thinking about one of them sliding out and straight through someones back window and into the back of a kids head.

I remember donkeys years ago, trying to fetch a worktop in my Mk1 Fiesta. I had measured the space to make sure it would fit in the car. It did fit in the car but there was no way I could operate the gear lever so I had to take it back in the shop and ask them to deliver it! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back