Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How not to load a car
thought the 6x3 sheets would be fine, only 15kg ish thought they would be less
But never clocked they where 8x4's 28kg ish. I loaded straight on off fork truck onto roof form the rear. I was just concerned about positioning when loading up never noticed they was a bit big DOH
Got home with abit of creaking and groaning from the roof bars moving[ :eek: When I unloaded the first, clocked the first board was a little to big, swore a few times.
They got returned but the yard picked them up. and now awaiting 6x3 T/E as none in stock

Sponsored Links
Do you really think the car roof form, suspension and brakes are designed for that type of load?

At 8-10 kg per sq m that lot must have been 400 kg+

Lucky you not being seen by the police for overloading, and lucky you for doing the journey and not having to attempt emergency breaking for a child or wandering oap.

Bet the suspension is a tad odd now.

Sponsored Links
Do you really think the car roof form, suspension and brakes are designed for that type of load?

At 8-10 kg per sq m that lot must have been 400 kg+

Lucky you not being seen by the police for overloading, and lucky you for doing the journey and not having to attempt emergency breaking for a child or wandering oap.

Bet the suspension is a tad odd now.

the roof limit is about 150kg load so if they was 6x3 would have been ok ish LOL only 300kg

Weight on the suspension and brakes not an issue over the car It would just be three adults in the back.

Believe me the boards where not going anywhere 2 x 0.5ton straps holding them on. the rack may have came off though. :LOL:

I have no idea why these people load their cars up like this.

I have a Transit and still get everything delivered, most merchants will deliver same/next day free of charge, and usually cheaper than B and Q and Wickes. And you can order over the phone.

in this case desperation had a week off and passed insulation stage And was let down by 2 yards.
this yard also then had no 6x3 so failed to get the boarding out that week, they have since been delivered :LOL: by another yard, whom still tried to deliver SE 8x4 doh

Weight on the suspension and brakes not an issue over the car It would just be three adults in the back.
There are at least 20 sheets on that car, and at 28kg each, thats 560kg.
A third of that = 180kg.
While there are some individuals who weigh that much, they would not fit into that car.

As above, most places will deliver. Even if not, B&Q have a van you can hire for £14.

flameport";p="2594407 said:
There are at least 20 sheets on that car, and at 28kg each, thats 560kg.
A third of that = 180kg.
While there are some individuals who weigh that much, they would not fit into that car.
never again the 6x3 are half the weight which would be fine
correct i have had five adult at a squeeze in the car bear in mind I weigh 110kg and we are all about that size!!!!

I know this seems harsh....

but you are a fool and a menace.

May you wise up before your luck runs out.

I know this seems harsh....

but you are a fool and a menace.

May you wise up before your luck runs out.

agreed om the Fool It was My mistake Assuming the yard loaded up 6x3,which would be fine.
I dont massively overload the car as a rule. I certainly fixed it down on the roof bars so it was not going anywhere.
Remember coming down the A2 with a few lengths of 6x2 and got passed by someone with a sofa on there just held on with a bit off string. My load goes now where even after emergency stoop

I agree with regsmyth

What ifs

You have to brake hard as a child steps onto a crossing and the sheets slide forwards . . . . Nothing to stop them evident in the photo and even if there was the weight would tear the roofrack off the car.

You lose control of the car because it is overloaded . . .

Either way you are risking prison if you cause a death as a result.

RTFM - both for both the car and the roofrack, and learn how to fasten things on to the roofrack before you use it again for ANYTHING.

On a more constructive note

My roof bars (Thule) have a limit of 75kg for the pair, not each, including the weight of the bars.

So they can support (hold up), withstand lateral G (cornering forces) and acceleration/decelaration forces for that much weight.

Now you won't accellerate very fast with that on the roof so no worries there but you can still corner too fast and either lose the load and the bars off the side of the car or roll the car and brake hard and lose it over the bonnet. The last is the most likely and also the most unavoidable (child steps off kerb....). Your insurance company would have walked away from all but the third party risk had it happened.

You have set out to overload (the 6x3 would have overloaded) and grumbled because someone overloaded you even more - surprised that the merchant let you drive out like that!

learn how to fasten things on to the roofrack before you use it again for ANYTHING.

agreed with most but how do you suggest I'd secure a load to a roof rack.
that method has proved suitable under evasive and hard braking with timber secured the same way. This was secured over load then under both bars then over load, then under bars and over load and secured.
there was a strap to stop forward aft movement, and the over

The car was not overloaded how ever the roof was DOH :oops:

... brake hard and lose it over the bonnet.
A friend tells a good tale of that in the building trade. They were on a job and had some "fairly heavy" lengths of steel on the roof rack of the Tranny van. Unknown to him before he popped off to get something, the straps had been removed, but the steel left in place. His own fault for not checking before driving, but you know how it is ...

I think you can guess what happened at the first junction - apparently they struggled getting them out of the road. Not off the road, but out of - they'd gone off the front of the van and impaled into the road surface :LOL: He was ****ing lucky there was nothing else around at the time.

And of course, when I think back about some of the things I used to do, there but for the grace of god comes to mind :rolleyes:

EDIT: The OP is lucky there aren't too many police around on the roads these days. Had he been spotted then he'd have been given a prohibition notice (as a dangerous vehicle) and had to find another way of getting the sheets home. A summons of fixed penalty would just have been icing on the cake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back