Powermax 155x wiring harnesses and other stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like so many it seems, having Powermax 155x problems and I wondered whether any advice can be offered for my current situation.

The fault:

When starting up, the first stage (blower) comes on OK but when it reaches the firing stage it trips the house RCD. It was regular but intermittent at first, but now every time.

I'm on the BG scheme and they have been out many times over past 2 weeks, changed a pump, changed circuit board etc. I confirmed separately it's not the RCD, so a different engineer came back this week (think first one got fed up!) and eventually identified 5 possible wiring harnesses that could be triggering the fault, 2 of which are not in stock and he hinted probably not available. One of these is the one he wants ...! Currently I'm waiting til the spares place opens tomorrow and expecting a call back then.

I know the low regard these boilers have in the service industry so I know I must change it asap, but I'd rather not change it while it would be a decision made under duress. Wondered if I could load up a few thoughts here for any advice.

Firstly the fault:

1. Am I likey to get this fixed? Are the harnesses unavailable or are BG following a standard process and haven't looked in the right places?

2. Is this likely to be the problem anyway? They say Baxi Potterton put the phone down on them when they ring up for tech support. I have no reason to suspect it's not, but if they've tried the easy stuff how do they go on from here?

(Before I start this next part I realise BG people are also on here, and I will say I'm pleased with the 2 engineers who came out. I don't think they want to be in this situation either, and universally say the Powermax is not their fav. The 2 chaps should be commended for coming and giving a service I expected - I understand some colleagues rejected the work assignments and I think it's terrible to have colleagues who let you down like that and leave you with the hard ones.)

Regarding the service I'm getting:

3. At what point can I expect to be offered a replacement if at all? My agreement says they won't replace if 7 years old, but I moved in to my home new build end Jun 02 so it is 4 months under this age. I figure a replacement should be part of the service if required. I called their general enquires line to ask about this and was told the engineer makes the replacement decision. But the chap who came didn't seem to know the terms and conditions around this. However he says he's never known a boiler to be replaced free, and I suspect policy is not to replace but to keep customer on hold awaiting parts until they get fed up and shell out in frustration. Any way of following this up?

Regarding replacement soultion:

4. I'd rather not re-engineer my 3-story town house to replace, and on this forum a couple of folks elude to a Valliant ecoTECH plus 937 would be a good swapout. My lifestyle seems to suit this sort (just me and not major demands). Is this a good conclusion / solution? Importantly is this a reliable solution that engineers don't mind coming to?

5. The powermax is in the upstairs airing cupboard with a flue up through the roof to a vented ridge tile. A suitable outside wall would be hard to find without significant rework, so is a fluing solution likely for such a boiler using the same site?

Any thoughts on any of these items would be welcome, as would any other thoughts and ideas. I won't ask for suggested budget for a replacement, but if you want to suggest one that would be useful!

Grateful for any thoughts, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cant comment on availability of parts without knowing which ones exactly.

Usually a managers decision to replaced a boiler under t&c.

if the flue goes to a ridge vent I imagine there is an adapter in the loft, I dont know if these can be used with new condensing boilers. however most can have the flue going through the roof anyway

I would ask to speak to the manager and put in writing your request for them to change the boiler if it is not successfully repaired within 14 days. If it is under 7 years old then you are entitled to that under the terms of your contract, they will try and wriggle out of it and quote you around £4000 to replace it instead. You would be better off with a new boilers as these are junk and BG have already had an "incident" on one of these which resulted in a fatality due to their negligence.

resulted in a fatality due to their negligence.

Really Dm?, that was not the outcome from the legal process.

Why order 5 wiring looms?, wouldn't it be easier to check the ones in there to see if one is faulty?. Also if it is tripping when power is applied to the gas valve might that be worth a little look?

The serial number may well indicate the boiler to be over 7 years :cry:

Sponsored Links
Actually i think the outcome was.....as the investigators couldn't identify which of the two engineers had made the fatal adjustments then they couldn't legally proceed with a prosecution.......not exactly a ringing endorsement but then everyone is innocent until proven guilty so it isn't for me to comment further...

Actually i think the outcome was.....as the investigators couldn't identify which of the two engineers had made the fatal adjustments then they couldn't legally proceed with a prosecution.......not exactly a ringing endorsement but then everyone is innocent until proven guilty so it isn't for me to comment further...

Quite. For the amount of visits made over a reported smell of fumes they should be locked up imho and BG fined 10% of their turnover.

Still the culture of productivity, sales and targets will lead to such incidents.

Thanks for advice so far

Serial number is NS241955 - does that help with telling how old the boiler is?

Any comments on choice of replacement?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back