Local Authority Buildings Control Officer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the procedure regarding the BCO? I did phone them to say that I might be doing the kitchen ring main. They sent me a form with a note to say the fee was £77 + VAT. Not sure what will happen next if I send the form back. Who will inspect the work? Will the BCO come out to inspect before and after the work has been done? The form seems to suggest that I would need to get the work inspected, tested and certified by a qualified electrician anyway. Really confused about the procedure to follow rather than the actual work required.

Sponsored Links
why not ask them?

it seems that it vries depending on where you are

steve1811uk said:
The form seems to suggest that I would need to get the work inspected, tested and certified by a qualified electrician anyway.

The principal method of complying with Part P is to carry out the work to BS 7671. BS 7671 requires that the installation is inspected, tested and certified by whoever carries out the work. As most LABCs don't have sufficient electrically qualified inspectors they require that you provide the certificate.

Good luck with that.

Sponsored Links
Im doing the same thing with a kitchen I called the council who said the work has to be done in accordance with BS7671 and that the person doing the inspection has to be compitant. I asked what compitent was and they listed all the qualifications. 2381 being the minimum. I hold 2381 so they said send off the building control note with the £77 + vat cheque and a copy of my 2381 certificate .

Sure enought my application was accepted with a note in the post today.

All I have to do now is inspect the work and send off the EIC when complete.
Hope this helps

councillor - are you doing the same thing with a kitchen, by any chance?

Softus said:
councillor - are you doing the same thing with a kitchen, by any chance?

Yes - why do you ask?

Ahaa is it because my post has mysteriously been posted 3 times :oops:

Always takes me 3 times longer than normal.

++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:

I have eaten the duplicate ones. I think it happens because the server is feeling tired and people might submit again if the first one didn't seem to work.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++

The form sent out by the LABC was in fact incorrect, misleading and not to current legislation. I referred to Part P myself April 2006 version and that has a whole section devoted to DIYers (1.24 - 1.27). Basically it says you can do the work yourself and they are responsible to make sure that you did the work correctly (by their inspection or nominated inspector). They will then issue a Building Regulations completion certificate. Also the cost of their inspection is born by them. Anyway that's the route I am going to follow. Steve.

steve1811uk said:
The form sent out by the LABC was in fact incorrect, misleading and not to current legislation. I referred to Part P myself April 2006 version and that has a whole section devoted to DIYers (1.24 - 1.27). Basically it says you can do the work yourself and they are responsible to make sure that you did the work correctly (by their inspection or nominated inspector). They will then issue a Building Regulations completion certificate. Also the cost of their inspection is born by them. Anyway that's the route I am going to follow. Steve.

I also noticed that bit in 1.24-1.27 about the cost of the LABC inspection being born by them. Yet it seems to be accepted here that they charge - how can they do this?

Don't know as this is my first notification. I plan to pay the notification fee of £77 + VAT and no more. If they want to charge extra for the inspection I will refer them to Part P 1.24 - 1.27. It will be up to them if they want to go to court over it. Actually they may not be up to speed with those new requirements. That's the only thing I can think of to explain why they would charge extra. Steve.

steve1811uk said:
Don't know as this is my first notification. I plan to pay the notification fee of £77 + VAT and no more. If they want to charge extra for the inspection I will refer them to Part P 1.24 - 1.27. It will be up to them if they want to go to court over it. Actually they may not be up to speed with those new requirements. That's the only thing I can think of to explain why they would charge extra. Steve.

The Inspector will probably want to inspect at first and second fix.

I think I'll start working as a DIYER. Then I don't need to pay the NICEIC or have any tets kit. I'll get the customer to notify the job, then I'll whack the stuff in and get the Inspector to I&T for me (of course I'll rectify any faults). Job done and no responsibility. Or am I missing something here :confused:

and get the local council tax payers to chip in to cover the I&T on my jobs.

Don't think doing work for someone else could be classed as DIY, that would be DIFSE not covered by the regulations. Steve.

Paul, you are perfectly entitled to jack in your NICEIC enrollment and put your work through BC if you so wish!, but its not going to be anything but a false ecommony if the customer then has to pay £70 on top of your fee (and as a result you have to drop your price to remain competative)

BC however will not I+T your work as per BS7671, well its very unlikely, they just have to satsify themselves that P1 has been met, the easiest way to do this is to get you to adopt the prefered solution in the approved doc, and like other work they come for a quick nosy around, so you work to BS7671 and produce your EICs, BCO comes round, sees competant looking install, sees properly filled out EIC, is happy, signs off

You dont need to comply with BS7671 to comply with P1, but if there are no test results and no certs then it might be a bit more awkward to convince BCO that you have met P1, and even if you could you'd still be a no tests and no-cert cowboy.... :LOL:

Softus said:
Part P doesn't require adherence to BS7671, just that the work you do is to a safe standard.

BS 7671 is referred to many times in Approved Document P...

4 times in Section 0: General Guidance
23 times in Section 1: Design, installation, inspection and testing, and provision of information.
A further 32 occurrences, not including the numerous references in the model certificates, elsewhere in the 43 page document.

(I may have missed a few!)

... so it is pretty clear what that safe standard is.

Whilst the onus for inspection and testing is on the LABC for "installers not qualified to complete BS 7671 completion certifiicates" (p.11, paras 1.24-1.27) and, indeed, it should be carried out at the LABCs expense, it is pretty clear that the preferred routes are the use of self-certifying sparks, or building notice and provision of an EIC. It's no wonder they try and wriggle out of any direct involvement, when even properly qualified electricians find it hard to agree on what complies and what doesn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back