Locate signal in secondary telephone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been left by the builders with an unconnected secondary telephone socket, which I would like to use. In other terms, I discovered that the wiring that comes out the box is not connected to the socket.

From the little I know, to make it work I need to identify the two key wires and connect them to the slot 2 and 5 of the socket. (polarity does not matter).

Unfortunately, I do not know which is the relevant pair in the bunch I have been left with and the obvious ones do not work. How do I find out without trying all the possible combinations? Can I use a meter? and how?

Sponsored Links
forgive me but if you have a meter then it is not rocket science to figure it out

Breeze, from your answer I infer that
1) the only two wires on which I will be able a voltage differential are the two wires that have to be connected to the pin 2 and 5.
2) there is a permanent voltage differential on those wires. i.e. whether the phone is in use or not
3) there are only two wires in the bunch between which I will measure some voltage using a meter.

then the question is: what voltage should I expect? and should I assume it is DC?

forgive my ignorance and the basic questions.

Sponsored Links
Acchillo, why run before you can walk.

Think about it logicaly.

statrt by thinking wha you do know, not what you dont know

You'll probably find the other end of the cable to the second socket isn't connected at the master socket. It's considered bad practise to connect one end, and leave the other end floating about loose.

I have been left by the builders with an unconnected secondary telephone socket, which I would like to use. In other terms, I discovered that the wiring that comes out the box is not connected to the socket.

From the little I know, to make it work I need to identify the two key wires and connect them to the slot 2 and 5 of the socket. (polarity does not matter).

Unfortunately, I do not know which is the relevant pair in the bunch I have been left with and the obvious ones do not work. How do I find out without trying all the possible combinations? Can I use a meter? and how?

I may have read this wrong but I am thinking that you have had some building work done and your extension has stopped working because the builders have somehow disconnected the wiring...options are open the master socket and see what colours are connected to terminals 5 and 2 also terminal3 if its a slave socket,other option is to check with a meter and you will get between 48v to 53v on one leg and a earth on the other with nothing on the leg connected to 3 (if it is connected)................................................ If I have read it wrong get back with more info

When connecting a 'secondary' socket, terminal 3 should also be connected to ensure that any all types of phone will work correctly. In which case the polarity of 2 & 5 actually does matter and must be connected the same way round as in the master.

There will be approx 50v DC across the incoming pair even when the line is idle.

Hi Blondini,

exaclty what I needed! massively appreciated. thanks

You will not get 50v across the pair...you will have earth on one leg of the pair and between 48-53v on the other leg

Breezer, you probably would get 50v on the pair but this can flucutate at times and the tolerance would be no lower than 48v and no higher than 53v on a pstn line ...dacs and isdn carry different voltage altogether

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back