Locating a lintol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon, I wonder if you could clarify something for me.
We are increasing the width of a door opening off our kitchen into our extension via an open "slapping" (that's what the architect calls it, though if you ask me, he's the one that wants an open slapping!)
Please see "before and after" images below of what it is to look like.
The problem I'm facing is that I want to move the lintol UP by around one foot, otherwise there will be an vast expanse of kitchen wall above the opening. As such, the lintol (which has to be lengthened anyway for obvious reasons) has to move upwards by one course of granite blocks.
If it does this, however, then I can't see what would support the lintol.
The blocks marked in yellow above are dressed Quoins on the corner of my house, and removing the outside quoin would be obvious from the outside.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Are those your architects drawings? :LOL:

You need a lintel that does not show on the outside - such as a boot or inverted T shape one. Normally these are the types used on cavity walls

Or you need to get a beam with an L section welded to the front.

Surely your architect should have designed this, or he really does need slapping

Also building control may want a calculation for the buttressing of that narrow return pier

No, that's my Microsft Paint sketches, there are no details of the lintol on the pans other than "5x RC lintols".

I don't know what a narrow return pier is I'm afraid, but I'm guessing it's something to do with the fact that when the lintol was one course lower, there were blocks below it on which the lintol could sit. One course higher up, and the blocks are the other way around (narrow return?), ir the gap is narrower and there is no bearing surface on which the lintol can sit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back