Locating a water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first attempt at uploading a picture, so apologies if it doesn't work.

My bungalow was built in 1963. I know where the shut-off valve is by the street, and I know where the main rises into the house, to the stop cock. I don't know (but need to know) the route that it takes.

I'd be very grateful if anyone with knowledge of building practices at the time could tell me whether you think it is more likely to follow the red route, the blue route or some other route... [edit - the colours aren't very clear - the red route goes round the back of the house]

Notice that a utility room was added later over the red route - I don't think the footings or the slab for this are very deep.

The blue route comes in where the back door used to be (now a window).

What I want to do is intercept the main at the point marked X (which is within the utility room) and move the stop cock to there.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
IMO it is most likely to follow the red route.

To start with the water main needs to be at least 750mm below ground level. The house would be built to DPC level before the drains and services go in so when you put water in later you don't want to be excavating through the house with a duct (which is the way to do it under buildings).

Look at using a Cat and Genny to locate or even a metal detector if a lead service may give a greater degree of accuracy as to it's route without digging unnecessarily.....

Sponsored Links
Look at using a Cat and Genny to locate or even a metal detector if a lead service may give a greater degree of accuracy as to it's route without digging unnecessarily.....

Oo, I know a man with a metal detector. I wonder how deep they detect.

The 15mm/half inch pipe coming out of the kitchen floor to the stop cock is copper ... surely the whole run wouldn't be copper?

Cheers
Richard

I have worked on projects where the underground pipe was table Y copper wrapped I think in denso tape. So while possible I think it unlikely.

Edited:
Also your water main may be plastic not lead. Although lead stopped being used altogether only in 1970. No use for a cat and genny if plastic! Also if plastic it will probably be black in colour and will give you hours of fun to find the right connector!

Edit: These may save your bacon if plastic
http://www.raygrahams.com/products/...-x-25mm.aspx?gclid=CP-4otfqlLwCFSsCwwodaj0ALQ

Worst case scenario and it's a plastic main, then water divining as mentioned may be best option. Not guaranteed accuracy but should get you close to the right spot.

Worst case scenario and it's a plastic main, then water divining as mentioned may be best option. Not guaranteed accuracy but should get you close to the right spot.

There's an underground drain run and a pipe to a soakaway in the immediate vicinity, so I don't think anything that purports to detect water would help much.

If it takes the red route I'll find it by digging up the corner of the utility room floor. I just wanted to get an idea of what was most likely.

Cheers
Richard

Theres a water guy doing exactly the same thing, ( trying to find route of mains ) near me, hes got a long steel rod, about 4 ft long with a round disc on the end.
Hes prodding the ground and has his ear to it, might work with the water running.

Theres a water guy doing exactly the same thing, ( trying to find route of mains ) near me, hes got a long steel rod, about 4 ft long with a round disc on the end.
Hes prodding the ground and has his ear to it, might work with the water running.

I think I might call in Time Team.

Cheers
Richard

Our street was built 1958. Our house is fed in 1/2" copper sleeved in (now rotten) yellow rubber.

You're going to have to dig up that corner of the utility anyway it's just a question of whether you'll need a trench to the back door. So just get on with it.

Our street was built 1958. Our house is fed in 1/2" copper sleeved in (now rotten) yellow rubber.

You're going to have to dig up that corner of the utility anyway it's just a question of whether you'll need a trench to the back door. So just get on with it.

If it's the red run I'm going to dig up the floor and intercept it. If it's the blue run I'm going to replace the whole lot, from the street, in which case l'll get someone in, because I don't have the time or inclination to do that much digging. So two different plans.

But you're right, the only way I'll know for sure is to dig a hole.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back