Water Mains and Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to build a two story extension on the side of the house. Size will be approx 10m x 5m. Before I apply for planning however, I'm aware that the water mains for the street runs through the plot to the side of the house where we intend to build. There's a manhole cover which currently sits behind where the extension would go.The water meters for the houses on the street are in the front gardens.

A neighbour told the me the previous owner wanted to do the same "about 20-odd years ago" but was unable to due to the water mains. Presumably building capabilities have changed since then (or maybe it was due to cost they decided not to go ahead). Does anyone have any experience of building an extension over a water mains/re-routing the mains, and any ideas on what sort of cost we might be looking at, how we might go about it, and if there's any implications for the neighbours?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check the water company didn't have an easement on your property. They might have forbidden building on a wide enough stretch to allow machinery in to relay the water main if necessary. That could be the reason the seeming convenient space exists.

I can't see why not, I did not think that build over agreements applied to supply pipes, just drains and sewers.

In fact, can't you ask the water company to move them off your property, or divert them?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back