Lock for outdoor wooden gate please?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am after advice on which lock I would need to fit onto an outdoor wooden gate, as we are surrounded by little idiots, I need to lock the gate when I leave and obviously unlock when I get back. Preferably a lock that just shows the key insert (thingy) :rolleyes: on the outside of the gate. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Probably a rimlock is required with as long a bolt as possible since timber gate will shrink back in summer by 10-15mm.

"keyhole"

With an outdoor gate, rain and damp are the big problems as they will make most locks go rusty.

I have had good results with a Squire 660 padlock, which is a big, old-fashioned looking thing with a galvanised steel case, and the internal levers are brass. It has lasted much better than any padlock with a cylinder (key is shaped like a Yale)

If you want to fit a mortice lock, you need a gate which is quite thick (as least 44mm like a front door). However they all have at least some steel parts inside, as far as I know. A better one like a Chubb mortice lock has mostly brass working parts inside, but the case goes rusty especially round the keyhole. Ordinary cheap 3-lever locks are usually very poorly made and will rust and break quickly. You can buy second-hand Chubbs on ebay, but be sure to get one with plenty of spare keys or new copy keys will cost you more than the lock. Also, fitting a mortice lock requires a fair bit of time and skill if you are not used to chiselling.

There are a few all-brass rimlocks available, as used in Utilities cabins, but they are very expensive. A second-hand Safe lock would be available on ebay, old ones are all-brass and can be mounted on the inside surface of your gate, and have a long key that will go all the way through. You can still get L&F brass safe locks new, and they are not very expensive. However you would not be able to open it from the inside as it only accepts a key from one side.

You can get cheap pressed-steel rimlocks made for sheds and gates, but they are very weak and insecure. It would not hurt to make a plywood cover for such a lock to keep the weather off it.

Sponsored Links
it is certainly very expensive for what it is...

looks like it only operates from one side, and has a small cylinder. These tend to get dirt in them and jam, when exposed to the weather.

However it does appear to have a good long throw.

My preference would be for one of these, but it does not look so neat.

!B5KyZZgBmk~$(KGrHqMOKiMEy(h7WF2mBMsj)RZm,w~~_35.JPG

or something like this at 1/4 the price of the Cays

!BkMSIbgBmk~$(KGrHqEH-CcEs9!wB,c2BLWg32k3Lw~~_35.JPG

either is available at any DIY shed or hardware store

Also look at Enfield Bolts which have a long throw and might cost about £25 for a pair

Your call

The Enfield bolt looks good and seems to be weather proof. I was just wondering....the gate lock will be on the left hand side of the gate from the outside, so would the enfield still be OK. I cannot tell from the pics if this type of bolt/lock can be used on any side of the gate. Sorry if it sounds dumb, but I have no experience in fitting this stuff, but once i get the workings in my head, I should be able to do it.

BTW, the gate is 150mm thick, but I suppose I could put a block on the gate if it needs more thickness??

the Enfield is supposed to go on the inside of the gate, and you can turn them over so they shoot left or right to suit you. I think they will accomodate a door up to 35mm thick. The key is cruciform so difficult to get copied.

p.s. 150mm is 6 inches :eek: Do you mean 15mm? A sheet of WBP ply on the inside of the gate, with plenty of screws, would stiffen and strengthen it and will accept shed-and-fence woodstain to blend in.

You might need to beef up the hinges. Steel Hook-and-band hinges, as used on garage doors, are easy to fit, heavy and very strong. Fit one of them upside down to prevent anyone lifting the gate off its hinges

Yes, thank you for your help. Most appreciated. I think I will go for this one, as it not only is weatherproof, but a little better on the security side as well. 15mm...Yes, hehehehe. Sorry. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back