Locking 13A outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem with the kids. Wife and I want them to be outside after school (at least when the weather is good) but often the TV seems to be too much of a draw to them. Has anyone come across a key operated switch on a 13A outlet so that we can control when the TV can be used. This may be extreme but saying NO TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! has been tried but when our backs are turned on goes the TV so we are looking for the ULTIMATE FIX!

TIA

David

Sponsored Links
clip round the ear is cheaper, or "what part of NO, do you not understand?"

It is possible and i have seen sockets which are keyswitch operated, but as the switch is integral to the socket it means you will soon get fed up bending down to turn socket on.

Other alternatives (apart from 1st ones) will nead some additional rewiring

Could you not put the plug top into some sort of small lockable box with a groove for the flex to come out of?

Better still there are devices to prevent the plugtop from being plugged in (it locks onto the plugtop itself) They are used to stop faulty appliances being used until they are repaired.
Can't find a link to one at the moment, but I'm sure someone will be able to help..................

Sponsored Links
"clip round the ear is cheaper" and preferable - never affected me, but the need to prevent todays children from physically watching the cr*ap on TV would be preferable

you can get those locking spurs you usually use on a fire alarm panel to isolate it,

Would require aditional wiring though, which could be a problem!

you could take the fuse out of the plug lol, or just pull the aerial out?

On some freeview/sky boxes, don't they have parental controls of some sort, whereby you have to tap in a 4 digit passcode?

http://www.50plushealth.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=3273

S428_Homeguard_child_Socketsafe%20_covers_L1.jpg

S428_Homeguard_child_Socketsafe%20_covers_L2.jpg

S428_Homeguard_child_Socketsafe%20_covers_L3.jpg

Should do the job :D

Either sell the telly, or sell the kids...

...or better yet, send them on holiday and move to another country while they are away.

One day you'll thank me for this advice. ;)

dingbat said:
Either sell the telly, or sell the kids...

...or better yet, send them on holiday and move to another country while they are away.

One day you'll thank me for this advice. ;)

If you sell the kids the tax man will do you for capital gains, and who will look after you in your old age.......

Find an old time per coin box which provide power for some many minute per coin and wire the TV power lead via that. That way you make money or you get the pocket money back.

Get a very old one that takes pre-decimalisation coins and a supply of old coins. That way there is a physical limit to how long they can watch, no more coins, no more TV until dad opens the coin box.

<<edit>> There used to be pay per hour TV's for bus station waiting rooms, cheap hotels and similar, coin box built into the TV

Though the kids will probably just buy a new TV for themselves.

Better yet, wire the telly socket up to an exercise bike so they can only watch as long as they are prepared to pedal! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back