Adding 13A socket to cooker circuit

Sponsored Links
Some single ovens use 2.5kW. So do some dual-fuel cookers.

So you can use a 13A plug.

Here we go again.

If the oven was intended to be plugged into a 13a socket. It would come with a 13A plug fitted.

When the op said plugs in the rear. He may have meant connects.

Here we go again.

If the oven was intended to be plugged into a 13a socket. It would come with a 13A plug fitted.

When the op said plugs in the rear. He may have meant connects.

Hi, the Neff-supplied flex has a plug on one end that locks into a socket at the rear of the oven. The other end has the three exposed cores and no plug. Neff give no instructions anywhere as to whether it should have a 13A plug fitted, or whether it should be hardwired. I spoke to Neff who said that hardwiring the flex is preferable, but they know that many fitters simply stick a 13A pug on it. My preference is to hardwire it.

There will at no time be any bare wires or live plugs; I will isolate the circiut the evening before the fitters come, and connect the flex to the cooker outlet plate which will leave the flex ready to plug into the rear of the oven.
Oven Flex.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok I take that back.

That almost does look like something you could put a plug on.
Difficult to tell from the pictures.

My Bosch dishwasher has something similar.

Ok I take that back.

That almost does look like something you could put a plug on.
Difficult to tell from the pictures.

My Bosch dishwasher has something similar.

Yup, I fully understand manufacturers' reluctance to give specific installation advice, but I would think that even professional electricians would appreciate something along the lines of "this appliance must be hardwired" or "this appliance must have a 13A plug fitted", or perhaps "hardwire it or stick a plug on it, it's up to you"!

Yes but they (electricians) would be on site and should know what is the correct way for the situation.

Admittedly, lots don't but we have three pages on how to connect an oven.

Connect oven and hob to connection plate and pretend it's a cooker.

Yup, I fully understand manufacturers' reluctance to give specific installation advice, but I would think that even professional electricians would appreciate something along the lines of "this appliance must be hardwired" or "this appliance must have a 13A plug fitted", or perhaps "hardwire it or stick a plug on it, it's up to you"!
Indeed - but one of the problems is that, as you have seen, there is not necessarily agreement as to whether a 13A plug would be appropriate/acceptable for your oven - so it's probably difficult for a manufacturer to give 'clear consensus advice/instructions'!

Kind Regards, John

The oven is 3kW, the hob ignition will require (something like) 5A protection. They need to be protected separately.

More correctly it's connecting cable will require protection. The ignition circuit itself should be internally protected.

More correctly it's connecting cable will require protection. The ignition circuit itself should be internally protected.
Is the nature of an ignition circuit such as it is "likely to result in an overload" (as opposed to a 'fault')?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back