Adding 13A socket to cooker circuit

As I said. Recommending fitting an rcd fcu 13a would be a fire hazard.

I know my preference. I have pointed this out.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your input. Sorry if '3 outlets' was misleading, I wasn't sure how to refer to them collectively - it was just to show that they will be tightly together, without long cable runs.
Yes, when echoes' comment caused me to look again, I realised that - and, in any event, I'm not sure what I thought you would want 'three socket outlets' for!

As you will probably have realised, the main issue is about RCD protection for the new socket (unless you take Andy's view and decide to ignore that regulation :) ). Ironically, as has been said, if you chopped off its plug and hard-wired the hob to an FCU, then the requirement for RCD protection would disappear (provided the new cable was not buried in a wall), since an FCU is not a 'socket'!

Kind Regards, John

Dare I suggest?

Connect them both to the cooker outlet and change the fuse wire to 15A - and clearly mark the fuse as 15A.

Can I hardwire a hob flex? I'd lose the 13A fuse that the plug provides. And we use the CCU for a kettle, so that would be 6kW with the oven on.

Sponsored Links
Can I hardwire a hob flex? I'd lose the 13A fuse that the plug provides.
Yes, but if you did as EFLI suggested, there would be a 15A fuse in the CU (which is no worse than the 16A protection that the circuit would have everywhere else in Europe - where there are no 'plug fuses'). However ....
And we use the CCU for a kettle, so that would be 6kW with the oven on.
I think that you may have just moved EFLI's goalposts, by indicating why the CU fuse could probably not be reduced to 15A :)

Kind Regards, John

Can I hardwire a hob flex? I'd lose the 13A fuse that the plug provides. And we use the CCU for a kettle, so that would be 6kW with the oven on.

Yes. You can hardwire it to an FCU (thereby keeping the hob flex protected by a fuse, probably 3A). Don't bury any cables to the new FCU - you could install the FCU directly adjacent to the cooker outlet. The RCD requirement can then be kicked down the road.

Another suggestion (sans RCD)

Since your oven is 3 kW, you could use a plain Flex outlet for the oven + FCU with Flex outlet for the hob, both mounted on a twin back box. This arrangement would replace the Cooker outlet (where you currently have an existing socket.)

Yes, but if you did as EFLI suggested, there would be a 15A fuse in the CU (which is no worse than the 16A protection that the circuit would have everywhere else in Europe - where there are no 'plug fuses'). However ....
I think that you may have just moved EFLI's goalposts, by indicating why the CU fuse could probably not be reduced to 15A :)

Kind Regards, John

Another suggestion (sans RCD)

Since your oven is 3 kW, you could use a plain Flex outlet for the oven + FCU with Flex outlet for the hob, both mounted on a twin back box. This arrangement would replace the Cooker outlet (where you currently have an existing socket.)

Thank you both for your help.

The kitchen fitters will be installing the oven and hob. I don't suppose they'll appreciate me hardwiring the hob while they're trying to work, so what I propose to do is:

Fit a metal back box immediately adjacent to the box for the cooker outlet plate (or maybe use a dual box).

Run 2.5mm t/e from the cooker outlet to the new box and fit a 13A socket. This will mean that the (very short!) cable run will not technically be buried in a wall (??).

The fitters will merely need to plug the hob into the 13A socket. In the meantime we use the socket for our gas oven ignition.

Hardwire the oven flex to the cooker outlet plate - this will mean that the fitters will just need to snap the dangling plug into the rear of the oven. I will do this last bit on the evening before they come (and leave the circuit isolated), so that we don't at any time have a live cooker flex nestling behind our oven.

I'll mark the 13A socket as being on the cooker circuit in case anyone in the future should mistake it for the ring main.

I thought there would be some loose wires while waiting for the fitter to fit the oven.
... The fitters will merely need to plug the hob into the 13A socket. ... Hardwire the oven flex to the cooker outlet plate - this will mean that the fitters will just need to snap the dangling plug into the rear of the oven.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back