Lockshield valve leaking - what to replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, to do some plastering work, I've isolated and drained one radiator from my pressurised central heating system with combi boiler.

After reconnecting it and re-pressurising however, the lockshield valve is leaking at the connection to the radiator.

I removed it again and noticed this old O ring from within the valve.

Questions:
1. Is the O ring the reason for the leak?
2. If so, do I replace the valve or O ring? I can't seem to find like-for-like replacements for either, as the diameter for the thread is approx. 1 inch
3. Is the procedure for swapping out lockshield valves similar for TRVs?

I assume this new valve doesn't work as the nut is on the existing radiator.
Example: https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-angled-manual-radiator-valve-15mm-x-1-2-/33920?ref=SFAppShare

Any suggestions and keywords for the product I should be looking for?

EDIT:
On a product page, is the connection to the radiator the 'inlet' or the 'outlet'? I may have misunderstood all the spec sheets!

Attachments

• Leaking valve.jpg
    Leaking valve.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 71
  • O-ring.jpg
    O-ring.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it’s an o-ring rather than an olive to seal, then yes, you’ll need a replacement O-ring.

If it’s an o-ring rather than an olive to seal, then yes, you’ll need a replacement O-ring.
Do you mean copper compression olives? I've run a finger into the valve and there isn't anything else in there other than this deformed rubber ring

Sponsored Links
Do you mean copper compression olives? I've run a finger into the valve and there isn't anything else in there other than this deformed rubber ring
Doesn’t matter the material, as you can get brass olives. As per @Bod ... obtaining a replacement could prove tricky, probably best replacing the valve/tail set.

I'll try out these assorted sizes rings. I'm not quite sure if it's 18mm or 20mm diameter as it's so deformed.

On a side note, every time I drain this single radiator I will inevitably lose 2-3L of water with inhibitor mixed in. Do I need to add more inhibitor when I'm done?
For context I only have 7 radiators total and a whole bottle of MC1 had been added about 6 months ago.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Doesn’t matter the material, as you can get brass olives. As per @Bod ... obtaining a replacement could prove tricky, probably best replacing the valve/tail set.
Do I need to replace the radiator as well? I can't seem to find a similar sized valve to this seemingly very old one.

Do I need to replace the radiator as well?
Not at all.
I can't seem to find a similar sized valve to this seemingly very old one.
The tail should be 1/2” so it doesn’t matter if you replace it with a 3/4” x 1/2” or 1/2” alone, as long as the dimensions are similar. You may need a radiator Allen key to remove though, not expensive either.
Screwfix

Not at all.

The tail should be 1/2” so it doesn’t matter if you replace it with a 3/4” x 1/2” or 1/2” alone, as long as the dimensions are similar. You may need a radiator Allen key to remove though, not expensive either.
Screwfix

Am I right in understanding that buying a new valve also includes the tail (as annotated in picture)?
So to get this working, I need to remove the existing valve from the pipe, and existing tail from the radiator?

The pressure in the loop is about 0.5 bars now, would I need to drain down the whole loop to replace the valve/tail?
I've seen a few videos where draining down isn't required to replace TRVs, I would think it's the same for replacing a lockshield valve.

Attachments

• radiator valve.png
    radiator valve.png
    32 KB · Views: 29
  • Existing valve.jpg
    Existing valve.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back