Lockshield valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Towel rail plumbed into ch system is also fitted with electric heating element for summer heating.
Need to replace element but cannot close valve to isolate radiator from ch system.
Lockshield valve spindle has no square on end for key to engage. Just a round spindle!
Valve is connected to T-piece adaptor for heating element.
Any advice how this valve operates?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic please, some are into a dry pocket and dont need draining

20190806_115615.jpg 20190806_115622.jpg 20190806_115704.jpg
20190806_115615.jpg
20190806_115622.jpg
20190806_115704.jpg
20190806_115609.jpg

Sponsored Links
you will have to remove the towel rail from the wall to change that, you close the brass lockshield part in your pic and close the valve at the other end of the rad undo the two chrome nuts and with lots of towels down lift off the towel rail, turn upside down , take outside and drain the rad , remove and replace element then refit rad, element is too long to get out with rad in situ.

https://www.toolstation.com/towel-r...pzLCDQ7hcwROg06bZamORPaiQWd5lamRoC8mYQAvD_BwE

That's what I thought I would do, but I was surprised to find that the spindle on the lockshield valve could not be rotated to close the valve.
Normally I would expect the valve spindle to have a square end to take a key. The lack of any method to close valve is what has confused me. Is this a standard valve, or does it operate in some special way?

Is it normal that valve spindle does not have any flats or square to allow it to be turned easily?
I have never before seen such an arrangement.
It is not possible to turn spindle with fingers and there is no method of using a typical valve key. I am reluctant to force spindle using some form of wrench which may damage the spindle.
Do you believe this valve is correctly manufactured?

Can't tell from the pics, is that shaft splined? Actual pukka lockshields are uncommon, most rad valves come with 2 plastic covers-1 engages with splines so valve can be operated, 1 doesn't.
Whichever, get a set of mole grips on the shaft and turn it clockwise til it stops. You may scuff the shaft but you won't damage anything important. Good odds it'll leak a bit from the stuffing gland if it hasn't been operated for many years

Is your system a modern sealed system or an open vented system ?

If a sealed system just remove the pressure and snatch a new standard lockshield valve in , vou wont get much water coming out, must be a manu fault as you dont get them that cant be closed, what is the point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back