Loctite 452 or 742?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get some thread sealant as the thread keeps stripping the PTFE tape. The diameter of the thread is about 10mm

Whats the difference between the Loctite 452 and 742? I've had a look and the only information that really seems to be different is that the 452 has a maimum thread width of 3/4" and the 742 has a maximum 3" diameter.

Can anyone shed any further light on the topic as they both seem to be suitable for sealing threads, just the 742 is quite a bit cheaper.

Cheers folks

Sponsored Links
The Loctite 542 is really a ground flange sealant, where there isn't a gasket medium (remember Hermatite Green :p ) whereas the other (574 now) is for fine thread sealing.
Have you considered Fernox LS-X? Bloomin' good stuff.
John :)

I have seen Fernox LS-X 50ml on Amazon for £6.05 but heard the Loctite was the dogs. Never had dealings with this type of product before so it's new territory for me. It's to seal a regulator gauge.

Does this stuff only work on metal threads or can you get stuff that works on metal and push fit threads?

Sorry - 'push fit threads'? I'm not sure what you mean.
Loctite do products for absolutely every application but I would have thought that the Fernox would be fine for you - unless you are dealing with superheated steam!

Sponsored Links
The

Sorry - 'push fit threads'?

I have some JG Speed Fit fittings that had threads on one end and push fit on the other. I'm happy to try the Fernox stuff as it sounds like it'll do the same job. The Loctite stuff on eBay is only £1 more so wouldn't mind paying the extra if I would see the benefit.

Is the application of the Fernox the same as you would apply the Loctite?

OK I see what you mean.....if its the threaded end of the push fittings thats giving you the problem, then its pretty unusual as the fittings have a rubber washer incorporated that does the sealing.
Personally I don't use these things more than once but thats just me!
A smear of LS-X, Loctite or even a bit of silicone sealer usually does the trick.
Check out the makers instructions, but they are very similar in their application.

I think that if LS-X doesn't do it, then there's an issue with the fitting.....worn, crossed threads maybe or a deteriorated rubber washer.
Be lucky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back