sink tap threads don't line up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks thanks for your time.

Doing the pipework for utility basin sink it's exposed pipework thought it'd look different.

Anyhow the pipe threads don't line up using ptfe the hot left tap won't turn left anymore so its in position and the cold right isn't tight if I leave it as is.

I've read loctite would enable the thread to be rotated backwards and still form a good seal but what loctite product do I require?

Or if anyone else has any other ideas that be great to hear.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20180510_191335.jpg
    20180510_191335.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 358
Sponsored Links
There are other compounds but lashings of Loctite 55 cord and Loctite 577 liquid sealant and you won't go far wrong.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yeah the 577 is excellent stuff.

PTFE tape is fine but you need to get a feel for it when it comes to jobs like that and how tight it needs to be to seal properly and get things to line up. I use gas tape as it's thicker a a bit more forgiving IMO.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm at work at the moment they use loctite 270 for threads here but they're for bolts on trailers I've tested it on a thread it locks it in place for sure but not sure if it's water tight. Would save me buying some 577. Is 270 similar stuff?

I may have to stop being a tight arse and just buy some 577 to be sure.

cheers

That's really put us on the spot! The answer is it will probably work, but 577 is significantly more viscous than 270 so that's the one I'd go for.
John :)

Doing the pipework for utility basin sink it's exposed pipework thought it'd look different.
Its 'Sui Generis' (y)
Different people have different ways of doing them joint's,all work. My preference for them 2 joint's would be Hemp and paste it will lock the 2 threads rigid (y). Old fashioned way and still works very well.

which ever jointing agent is used it should be wras approved,most are but worth checking :!:

good luck,happy plumbing.

270 may or may not work. Not actually designed to seal water under pressure. To save a few quid, it's a gamble. If it goes wrong whilst you're away for the weekend, that gamble could cost thousands in water damage.

I admit 577 is steep. especially as it's only for 2 joints and has a shelf life. You could keep going with the PTFE. You need to experiment with the number of wraps to get the taps to tighten in the right place. Usually putting plenty on so it's a little bulky gives you more chance of tap stopping in the right place. If the tap goes in all the way down the thread, it probably won't be in the right place. Needs to tighten a little before end of thread. It's trial and error. Took me 5 attempts with PTFE to get an outside tap to stop in the right place last week. Sometimes it lines up first time. C'est la vie!

Last edited:
To update as I'm keen as hell I tried to 270 straight away it locked the pipes even with a full turn backwards and no leaks in over 2 weeks.

concerned now though as old and cold mentioned the 270 doesn't appear to be wras approved. It's not going to be used for drinking just washing hands is this going to be a problem? Says contains some irritable products

Only other option now is I'd need to buy two new taps and elbows as they're stuck solid and use the proper 577 or ptfe.

Choices. Wish I'd just gone with the 577 now. Lesson learnt.

Don't worry about it, the amount of the thread lock that will actually come into contact with the water and the amount that may subsequently dissolve into the water is minute.

Only worry about it if it starts causing boils/welts and pustules ;)

Thanks mad that was my logic to I'd imagine once set hard the actual contents won't be escaping into the water anyways. I'm a worrier though so nice to hear other opinions.

cheers (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back