Unable to get Outdoor tap lined up with Wall elbow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my outdoor tap, which was my first attempt at plumbing. Everything seem to go well, Except when I tried to get the tap to line up straight with the elbow joint. The tap thread is all the way into the elbow but the tap is pointing sideways. I have placed PTFE tape on the tap thread to help seal it.

The new tap and Elbow are:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-x-outside-tap-with-check-valve/37241
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wall-plate-elbow-15mm-x/92934

Can anyone help me on how to get the tap the right way up.

I can't physically turn it anymore

A few people have mentioned washers, but I would not know what type to get.

Any Help is appreciated
Thanks
Philip

Sponsored Links
take the tap back off and put twice as much ptfe on the thread, that way you'll be getting tight way before the end of the thread - allowing you to have it straight! simples.

Thanks

I thought it would be something simple. I will report back tomorrow

As a rule of thumb, how much would PTFE would you say to use?

Philip

Not sure of the exact number of turns, but i'd hazard a guess at about 1/4 of a roll. Ideally you want enough on to get you deep enough into the thread so you're near the end when it's tight.

Sponsored Links
I have removed th tap and added more PTFE tape, which appears to have solved it. I did about 25 turns of tape and still had to wind it all the way in to get a tight fit.

Does PTFE Tape degrade if it is not used for a long time. It was a roll, which I found in my garage.

No matter which way around the thread I wrapped the tape whenever I screwed it into the elbow the tape keeps getting pushed, forward off the thread.
I thought the PTFE was meant to remain on the thread.

Thanks
philip

Ptfe about thirty bob for ten rolls....loctite nearly three quid a roll. I know what I'm using. ;)

You only need 3 or 4 turns of loctite though, so you save in the long run, plus you can go back if you turn too far without causing a leak as with ptfe.

Does PTFE Tape degrade if it is not used for a long time. It was a roll, which I found in my garage.

No matter which way around the thread I wrapped the tape whenever I screwed it into the elbow the tape keeps getting pushed, forward off the thread.
I thought the PTFE was meant to remain on the thread.

Have you tried the tap?

Does it work without leaking?

Is it in the correct position?

If all the above are YES, then stop worrying. All that can happen is that you'll get drip (outside)

Another option is to remove the handle part with the washer and solder the thread ! That will never turn !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back