Loft bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Trying to plan building a double loft bed for my 9 year old daughter. Planning on attaching one length of bed to the wall (brick).. What fixings and how many should we be using to ensure it's solid? The back of the bed will be attached to the wall the front will be supported by 4x4 posts. The frame (that will be attached to the wall) will be 4x2. Hope that makes sense cheers

Sponsored Links
I think I'd go for something like a 2 x 2in or 3 x 2in softwood batten fixed to the wall using 5.0 x 100mm or 6.0 x 100mm screws into brown plugs (7mm hole) at 300mm to 400mm centres and then rest the bed on the batten. Use glass plates or flat steel repair plates to connect the frame go the batten. That way it can be removed with minimal effort.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that
what sheet material would best for the bed base it will be sitting on 4x2 joists thanks again very helpful.

18mm hardwood plywood or 18mm MDF for the sides and ends (to make the "box" outsides, you may want to strengthen the insides of the corners with softwood cleats screwed and glued into metal angle plates). 2 x 2in nominal (44 x 44mm finished) or 3 x 2in noml. (70 x 54mm finished) PAR (planed all round, sometimes called PSE or planed square edged) softwood for the support bearers screwed and glued inside the "box" to carry the mattress laths (one down each side) - this could also be used to make the front legs. And finally 4 x1in noml. (90 x 22mm finished) PSE laths to support the mattress. The laths can be fixed together by stapling a length of upholstery webbing down each side of the row of laths, on the underside (available on line and from some market traders and craft shops) at 3 to 4in gapping between them.

Note that timbers which are in contact with the mattress should not be lacquered or finished in any way as this can encourage mould

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back