Loft conversion advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

First of all, I am in in the construction trade And I am looking to cuts cost in doing a loft conversion. I am going to undertake as much of the work as possible. I want it convert my house into a four bedroom house when I sell it. So I want to go down all of the correct route to ensure I don't have any issues. I want it done to all building control/regulation standards.

I am planning on having a velux window installed by a proper installer. So not having a dorma. I'm guessing building control have to come out and inspect it all so Here are my issues;

When do building control need to come out?

At what stages do they visit?

Is there a cost for building control?

Do I need planning permission?

Do I have to have drawings?

Is there anyone else I need to notify?

duplicate removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Your neighbours if the steels are going in the shared wall.

Doing a loft conversion without a dormer is a waste of money.

Put a dormer in and you can add an extra bathroom.

Andy

Welcome to my world. I have just started mine, mainly self build but I am having a builder construct my new gable end wall because I suck at laying bricks.

To answer your specific questions, in my opining you will need:-

When do building control need to come out? - ideally before you start as they will give you advise on what is needed structurally and who to see about calcs etc. Mine is brilliant and very helpful.

At what stages do they visit? - Anything structural before removal and after install, for example if you put a steel in they need to inspect the padstones, the install and tings before you cover it over.

Is there a cost for building control? Yes - its a sliding scale, varies by authority.

Do I need planning permission? Depends. BC will advise on that. I did my hip to gable via PD (permissible development).

Do I have to have drawings? - Will help, there is a string chance you will need structural engineer to do calcs.

Is there anyone else I need to notify? Your neighbours if you have a party wall and you are doing anything like installing steels or changing the roof.

Sponsored Links
When do building control need to come out? YES TO INSPECT STEELS/BEAMS, INSPECT INSULATION LEVELS AND STAIRCASE AND WHEN COMPLETED, NORMALLY 3 VISITS

At what stages do they visit? SEE ABOVE

Is there a cost for building control? YES, REFER TO YOUR LOCAL AUTHORITY WEBSITE (I PAID £560 FOR DORMER CONVERSION WITHIN PD INCLUDES PLANS AND INSPECTIONS)

Do I need planning permission? NO IF DONE WITHIN PD

Do I have to have drawings? HELPS A LOT

Is there anyone else I need to notify? NEIGHBORS IF A TERRACE HOUSE AND PARTY WALL INVOLVED, MAY HAVE TO DRAW UP A PWA (IF NOT CUSHY WITH THEM)

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/loft-conversion-advice.480848/#ixzz4gr3NZD6k

I am in in the construction trade And I am looking to cuts cost in doing a loft conversion

Do you know enough about the required structural support for the new floor and roof, the fire precautions, and insulation requirements?

If not, you will need drawings and most likely a structural engineers input

You wont need building control out to specifically look at a velux

Do you know enough about the required structural support for the new floor and roof, the fire precautions, and insulation requirements?

If not, you will need drawings and most likely a structural engineers input

You wont need building control out to specifically look at a velux
They might want him to double up the rafters and see that it has been done?

Doing a loft conversion without a dormer is a waste of money.
We did one on a mahoosive bungalow roof conversion. Mind you, we were able to fit a 2.3m set of French doors in the gable end as well as three Velux. Made a large bedroom, a large en-suite and created a lot of storage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back