Loft conversion - confusing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We own a small terrace and we want to convert our roof and put in a dormer. I got quotes from 4 loft conversion firms and they all say different things about what we can do or not in terms of permitted development and fire regulations. So basically I am thinking of getting the planning consent first and then get quotes again.

Now, do I need a surveyor or an architect of both?
We have party walls issues and my neighbour already said he want a surveyor. Can I get a surveyor to get draw up my plans and talk to the neighbours surveyor? Do I need an architect on top?

Confusing... :( :(
Thanks for help!
Coralie

Sponsored Links
You don't need planning permission for a loft conversion. But the dormer may need permission, or it may be built under permitted development - its all down to location and size. If it's facing a road, then permission will be needed.

You need a suitably qualified 'designer'. Now the designer can be an Architect, a technician, a surveyor, an engineer or a builder - anyone really.

And Architect will be OTT for a loft conversion. Get quotes and compare like for like - remember there may be some additional engineers calculations for beams and dormer etc, so make sure you get quotes for all costs and estimates for work not included in the plan drawing, but needed. Also whether quotes include LA fees, and if amendments are chargeable.

Again, with the party wall, anyone can act as the PW surveyor. Many plan drawers wont do PW work.

Best thing to do may be to use someone who can do all the professional work, and do it under a single fee.

Remember that the neighbour may appoint their own PW surveyor, and so you could end up paying theirs and your surveyors fees. Also a third surveyor may be required if the two can't agree!

Edit. Fire regs changed recently so basically an escape window is no longer required in the loft, but a protected escape route (down the stairs) is

If you live in a conservation area, you may still need planning permission even if you just have velux windows, check with your local authority planning department.

Sponsored Links
Agree with above on plaanning perm on dormer etc.

Have a long chat with BRegs about their base requirements - especially as your build will almost definately complete close to summer 2008, when new Regs are arriving.

A Surveyor can do your design, drawings and permissions etc.... although, most will also have a private chat with their tame Fire Regs mate, before they feel comfortable. Architects can be OK ... but will go outside to confirm their fire regs knowledge is standing up...and just add it to the bill.

If there's PW issues ... you had best go early on them,. Above is right, the neighbour is entitled to appoint their own .. and it can escalate to 3.
It is also totally kosher for you both to agree one Surveyor who makes impartial PW decisions for you both ( but, of course, you pay)

Agree with above on plaanning perm on dormer etc.

Have a long chat with BRegs about their base requirements - especially as your build will almost definately complete close to summer 2008, when new Regs are arriving.)

:cry: :cry: :cry: what new reg??? :cry: :cry:

nothing special --- the formulations of the U Value reports/specs/rating charts comes into force April-June. Just rolling out the agreed amendments from Dec.
- not a major review of specs at all ... but it makes the enforcement (especially on new build) full-on, especially for ventilation and insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back