LOFT CONVERSION & INSULATION WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why must I insulate my loft floor which is on the same level as my bathroom and bedrooms (which dont have insulation in floor) this being a dormer house. Therefore MUST I insulate my new intended floor or can I just do the ceiling/roof?

Building regs say it must be insulated but must it really when the rest of the room are not? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice said:
Why must I insulate my loft floor which is on the same level as my bathroom and bedrooms (which dont have insulation in floor) this being a dormer house. Therefore MUST I insulate my new intended floor or can I just do the ceiling/roof?

Building regs say it must be insulated but must it really when the rest of the room are not? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please don't take this the wrong way :!: but the building regs are there to stop people doing bodge jobs.

This first or second floor?

Insulation between floors acts as:

a) Thermal insulation
b) Sound insulation
c) Fire protection

Can you see any reason why any of these shouldn't apply in your case?

Sponsored Links
No offence taken. And to Deluks, this 10 x 6 room would be on the first floor as are the 2 bedrooms and bathroom and they are not insulated, the room situation being because it is a dormer house. So is this still really neccessary?

I'm not sure it is a regulation. If you are insulating the rafters above then I don't see that it's required. Having said that, it's such a small space, why would you try and save about £20 when it will give all the benefits I listed above?

No, I'm not trying to save £20 there is already insulation down and I know it sounds daft but as its a bit dusty etc (and I didnt put it down it was in house when I purchased it) I thought I would remove it and rather than replace it then I would just leave with none as mentioned the other rooms dont have any, surely the room when done would just reach the same temperatures as the rest of the rooms on the same floor.

Its building regulations.
They change the "rules" all the time, maybe you would have got away with it 5 or 10 years ago, but not these days.

Be thankfull they havent specified a certain type that meets certain things like fire protection & noise/accustic levels. That could get expensive then :mad:

No, I'm not trying to save £20 there is already insulation down and I know it sounds daft but as its a bit dusty etc (and I didnt put it down it was in house when I purchased it) I thought I would remove it and rather than replace it then I would just leave with none as mentioned the other rooms dont have any, surely the room when done would just reach the same temperatures as the rest of the rooms on the same floor.

Insulation in roof space always gets dusty, no reason not to leave it in place. Just work around it, disturb it as little as poss and it can stay under your new floor.

Ok floor is now done, and I left the insulation under it really wasn't that bad and the joiner said the same, leave it down. Now, I would like to insulate roof myself before joiner and plaster come in and finish, what is the best way to do it, its just straightforward joists and nothing mishaped. I have been told to use Kingspan, if I use this how do I hold it place as understand I must leave a gap behind it and also when I have put this in between all roof joists do I still need to put the plastic sheeting stuff over and staple this to joists or the Kingspan enough.

All your answers are really appreciated. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back