Loft Conversion Means of Escape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm just checking on the minimum distance that a roof window has to be from the edge of the roof. Can anyone confirm as to whether the 1.7m maximum distance is still a requirement or not as I get the inpression that this was removed from the building reg revision in 2007?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If this conversion makes a 3rd storey, then you can no longer rely on a window as a means of escape - you have to have a protected staircase/escape route through the house. ie window position does not matter

If the conversion is to a bungalow, then you must have an escape window, and the bottom of the opening must be between 600 and 1100 from the floor. The 1700mm distance from the gutter does not apply

If this conversion makes a 3rd storey, then you can no longer rely on a window as a means of escape - you have to have a protected staircase/escape route through the house. ie window position does not matter

If the conversion is to a bungalow, then you must have an escape window, and the bottom of the opening must be between 600 and 1100 from the floor. The 1700mm distance from the gutter does not apply

Thanks for reply Woody. Is there any instance when the escape window would still be deemed as a means of escape and the 1.7m distance would have to be met, i.e if for any reason you couldn't fully comply with the protected means of escape, like in a listed building when the original doors had to be retained and you were prevented from fitting fire doors?

Cheers

There may be times when the regs could be relaxed, but for life safety issues like this, it would have to be a convincing argument and strong reasons as to why the current regs can not be adhered to.

If you can demonstrate an alternative arangement which is equally safe, then it can be agreed.

Costs, inconvenience etc would not be convincing arguments

Sponsored Links
There may be times when the regs could be relaxed, but for life safety issues like this, it would have to be a convincing argument and strong reasons as to why the current regs can not be adhered to.

If you can demonstrate an alternative arangement which is equally safe, then it can be agreed.

Costs, inconvenience etc would not be convincing arguments

I would ideally like to keep my existing doors due to their character, rather than fit white panelled fire doors, or expensive oak ones. My main arguement is that it is surely better safety wise to have mains interlinked fire alarms in every habital room to provide early warning, rather than a fire door that I don't want that will be left open by kids and everyone (closers would be no good with young children), and hense not doing what it is meant to do, or closed with a nice toastie fire raging behind with everyone oblivous to it! I've heard that some councils will let you do this, but I'll have to take it up with local BC.
I'm just designing the loft at mo, and it was just that if I had to meet the 1.7m requirement I would have to move a purlin, which would obviously be a bit more involved from design point of view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back