landing area at top of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and thanks in advance.

im currently planning the stairs into my loft conversion and will need a 1/4 turn so the angle of stairs fits building regs.

i was planning having a door at the top of the stairs into the room but was wondering if there's a minimum distance from the top of the last riser to the door itself. with losing space in the loft room because of the 1/4 turn needing 2 steps if there's a minimum gap more than i thought required this may intrude into the room too much for my liking so the other questiion is,, do i have to have a door into the loft room?

paul

Sponsored Links
The normal landing depth (ie from edge of top step to door) usually has to be at least equal to the width of the stairs.
But for loft conversions where space is limited, there has to be some flexibility on the part of the Inspector.
I've done lofts with a landing depth of 400 which have been OK'd by Building Control.
As long as you can show the arrangement to be safe in use, you will comply with regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back