Loft conversion - planning permission or not?

They are legally acceptable of course, they look hideous and rue the day the loophole is closed, commenting that there are worse things to complain about would make the every complaining thread on the forum redundant. Of course your reasoning explains why Britain is such a hopscotch of awful building and an excuse for the monstrosity's that have been allowed in the past.

Sponsored Links
But your view doesn't look beyond the perceived aesthetics of the building.

It doesn't look at the comfort and health of the occupants, the efficient use of land and space, and benefits to the economy of avoiding PP and allowing people to spend their money to gain space without moving house.

No-one would argue that they are architectural masterpieces, but then there are still housing estates being built up and down the country to approved plans that look bloody awful.

We need practical solutions to the problem of housing shortage in this country, and rear dormers are one such practical solution. Adding an extra storey in a cramped country makes perfect sense. As said before they are rarely visible from the road and so have little effect on the aesthetics of the area.

I would imagine the above are reasons why the "loophole" remains open.

Maybe the government also understands that after five years of economic stagnation families are under the cosh and realise that more space is required without the added costs associated with moving.

It would make sense to have a holistic approach where aesthetics aren't the only consideration.

where aesthetics aren't the only consideration.

Spoken like a true engineer :LOL:

The are proven and recognised health and social benefits of good design.

I'll bear that in mind Woody. I'm in the medical field and the next time a patient is dying in front of me I'll make sure I consider massivedormerloftitis in the differential diagnoses:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Death traps and slums of the future.

Give yourselves a pat on the back for condoning such hideous monstrosities.

I'm in the medical field and the next time a patient is dying in front of me I'll make sure I consider massivedormerloftitis in the differential diagnoses:LOL:

I can diagnose that they certainly wont be dying of laughter

I'm in the medical field and the next time a patient is dying in front of me I'll make sure I consider massivedormerloftitis in the differential diagnoses:LOL:

I can diagnose that they certainly wont be dying of laughter

Stop it, you're killing me :LOL:

But then you could probably resuscitate me with an appropriately designed building

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back