Loft conversion - planning permission or not?

Also, to the OP, your architect did not put in the loft plans along with the application for the side and rear extensions because it sounds like they were put in under an actual planning permission and your loft design would NEVER be approved under planning.

However, your loft plans DO seem to be LAWFUL under your permitted development rights.

The only way to be 100% certain, and be able to give 100% certainty to anyone who has inclination to ask (which could include the council themselves) is to apply for a certificate of lawful development.

You should be aware that you can apply for this before OR after you have finished work. BUT, if you have already started (or completed) the works then the cost for this application is DOUBLE.

Considering that any number of people could ask for proof that your dormer is lawful, and that it costs less to do this before the fact, I'd always recommend just submitting to the planning department for a certificate of lawful development... You've even already had the drawings put together so its not like you need to pay to have them done... its just hte form filling, so you can do this yourself if your architect wants to charge too much for him to deal with it on your behalf.

Sponsored Links
Considering that any number of people could ask for proof that your dormer is lawful,

I'm just trying to visualize a constant stream of passers-by walking up his path - day in and day out- and knocking on his door to check that he's got planning permission! :LOL:

your loft design would NEVER be approved under planning.

No s.hit.

It's difficult to imagine anybody wanting their house to look like that let alone what the architect must be thinking.

I just cringe and have to look away when i see some of these abominations.

your loft design would NEVER be approved under planning.

No s.hit.

It's difficult to imagine anybody wanting their house to look like that let alone what the architect must be thinking.

I just cringe and have to look away when i see some of these abominations.
But what would you do as an architect? Walk away? The client would only go elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
TBH, the drawings are crap and don't help in the representation. And the Design is crap too

But it is what it is.

It looks like it has not been done by an Architect, or anyone with any skills at all, other than having a CAD program.

A good example of how PD rights can be abused

There's nothing wrong with the design aestheticlly; it's just that the drawing
emphasises the loft itself.

It's just a typical hip-to-gable conversion with a flat roof dormer to the rear.

Yes, I'm sure we'd all like to see pretty little dormers with tiled roofs and valleys and whatever, but in practice that's often not possible with low ridge heights.

Of course, they serve a purpose but full height, full width dormers do look horrific. I may be doing something similar in a few years. :oops: :p

[quote="freddymercurystwin";p="2706379" I may be doing something similar in a few years. :oops: :p[/quote]

As you said, there will always be someone else to draw the plans if you don't.
Principes don't pay the rent.

Some people seem to get very judgmental about these things, calling it an 'abuse of the system' or 'abomination'

These extensions are a consequence of high property prices, high stamp duties and stagnant wages.

In London (and I'm sure other areas as well) having to move to a house with an extra bedroom in the same locality can easily cost you another £100k. If you then breach the £500k purchase price (again easily done in London) then it will cost you an extra £20k in stamp duty as well.

On the other hand you can spend £25-£30k for a lofty and get yourself the extra bedroom you needed.

I wonder how many of those who are being so judgmental would willingly stump up the extra £100k to uphold their 'principles'?

Do I think these huge dormers look aesthetically pleasing? No. However I completely understand why people do them. It is the only way many people can satisfy their (not unreasonable) housing needs in the face of high property/land values and taxation.

Personally, I'd decrease the width and height a little if possible to make it look less overbearing.

So, some sort of shanty town favela is justified just because one or few people can't afford anything better?

Planning rules and good design are for the benefit of everyone, not just one or two after a cheap job, or a quick profit

For once Woody you sound like you don't have a clue. Using extreme language like Favelas etc doesn't strengthen your case.

And we aren't talking about just a few people, we are talking hundreds of thousands.

And how on earth does the planning system benefit everybody if all these people don't have space to bring up their families? So the benefit is that you won't get offended by looking at a drawing of it on the internet??

Most of these dormers aren't visible from the road anyway.

Perhaps this isn't such an issue in Birmingham due to depressed property prices? I hear you guys buy your houses from the local poundstretcher :D

The planning system is for the benefit of everyone, as it makes impact on neighbours, impact on amenity, and impact on the locality as key considerations.

One persons monstrosity on the roof, may not be the best thing for the neighbours

The argument that the property market forces people to build hideous loft conversions is nonsense. There needs to be controls and there needs to be acceptable design, not a free for all

And how on earth does the planning system benefit everybody if all these people don't have space to bring up their families? So the benefit is that you won't get offended by looking at a drawing of it on the internet??

Why should the panning system be there for the benefit of people wishing to turn a once presentable street scene into something that resembles a shanty or slum?

Planning is there to restrict and guide those who believe it is their given right to build what ever they like irrespective of aesthetics and show them what is acceptable.

I often wonder if some people even have mirrors in their homes.

As for property and prices - you enjoy your little bit of land in the Capital and leave us Midlanders to enjoy ours. ;)

Yes, the planning system is there for the benefit of everybody, but it musn't just be there for people with your opinion and self important planners.

It needs to also be there to serve the needs of the all the people who are struggling for space to live in our very expensive Cities.

Of course there needs to be checks and balances and that's why the planners are so strict about what you can do to the front of your property (and rightly so)

Populations, demographics etc change, the planning system needs to adapt to cater for these changes.

Personally I wouldn't build a dormer that big but I understand why somebody might need to because of family and financial needs. And there are hundreds of thousands of people in this position, we are not tallking about a tiny minority.

If it were a tiny minority we wouldn't be having this discussion as you wouldn't see these dormers all over the place would you??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back