Loft conversion Velux only not dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a 30's build house and would like to convert my loft to use as a double bedroom.I will be doing all the work internally, but only getting builders to do the roof and velux window outside and the stairs.

I would like someone to recommend me an architect who can do full plans at a reasonable cost.

I have this cut and rafter roof which needs altering.Will i need steel beams or can i use timber( 9x2 or 8x3) above the 2x4 joists.Also reading online i can see the roof hangers are missing from my roof.They were never there when i purchased the house.A survey was carried out and it did not point out anything unusual.

How much roughly am i looking at a velux roof conversion.Local's have quoted me from £7500 to £1000 for labour only as i can get materials on the cheap.

Is there a guide to velux roof conversion to give an idea of what is involved here on the forums somewhere.This is my forever home so need to get it right the first time.Thanks

Attachments

• loft roof.jpg
    loft roof.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
If you want to do the job 'on the cheap' you don't get an architect involved. You don't even need to get plans drawn, as long as you know what you are doing, and what's what.
If you want plans, try a local architectural technician - they are often more experienced at these jobs than registered architects, and better value for money.
Depending on your structural layout, you might need an SE to give you some main-beam sizes.
As you are not building outside the roof, you won't need a ridge beam - probably just one or maybe two beams lower down to support the new floor.
Haynes do a reasonable manual on loft conversions - well worth a read.

Thank you for your replies.

You don't say where you are based.....
I am based in Barkingside in Essex.

I have read the haynes manual helpful however does not go into detail.I am aware what is required from a builder's point of view, but need to know whether these are definite.How much roughly am i looking at for a technician fees.Does someone here know one for a reasonable price.I am going to send the plans to building control so they need to be passed first anyway.

As my house is corner end of terrace i would like to extend the roof to include the side extension (technically extending the hip part of the roof). What would give more space in loft ( Hip roof or hip to gable roof however the latter will need to be 0.5metre under the existing roof line.)

With velux loft conversion will i need to upgrade the rafter to 6x2 as i will be using heavy clay tiles.At present they are 4x2.

How far will the floor beams sit in the loft under the rafters.Will they be just under the purlin or can they be moved further giving me extra space.I would also like to use the velux which can turn to a balcony and then a window again.

Is there anyone here who can do the plans for a reasonable price.I am happy to discuss this over the phone and give you the detailed plans for the house and the existing beams as i have done most of the work and got it approved with building control.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cost of building reg plans is abut £600 plus house survey at £100 a pop, the plans can also be revised and include beam details and calcs.

Thanks.Could someone shed some light on the type of roof i have.It is an inverted "A".
The 2 supports are supporting the purlin and resting on the central spine wall of the house, and then a horizontal section holding them together on top.Please see attached picture on top.

I am just trying to imagine how much space i will have in the loft. Will the new floor beams just run under the purlin or can the purlin be moved.
I have spoken to the building surveyor, and he is saying that basically i will need new rafters (6x2) to accommodate the new insulation.Current rafters are 4x2.If rafters need upgrading then it is going to be a new roof anyways.Is anyone local to me around Essex who can give some assistance.Happy to pay the costs involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back