loft conversion very cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just moved in to a 100 year old house and the loft was converted about 15 years ago. it was a proper job, Raised joists and a huge dorma and velux on the pitch side. the problem is that the only rad which is a 600w convector at the bottom of the staircase to the loft is the only form of heating up there. This is a problem as the velux is drafty and the eves are also letting in a huge draft. I don't mind running an electric heater of some sort, can anyone reccomend a decent 1? or any suggestions as to the possibility of raising the rad into the loft its self??? many thanks in advance for any advice...

Sponsored Links
You could install a 60Kw shower near the Velux and turn off the water supply. Then it would fire out great jets of heat into your draughty loft space. :evil:

it was a proper job, .................. the velux is drafty and the eves are also letting in a huge draft.
Proper job? I think the word is bodged.

Start off with getting the draught proofing and insulation right. If done properly the heat rising from the rest of the house would be adequate to heat.

Sponsored Links
I'm with Chris. Draughtproofing is cheap an easy, and these days you might expect 150mm (6") of insulation, 15 years ago you might have had 50mm (2") or less. It will need to be between the board lining of the loft and the tilers felt.

The difference thick insulation will make is staggering (did my first, old, uninsulated house and was amazed). If you just add more heating you will be throwing money out of the drafts and tiles and it will never be comfortable.

PaulAH said:
You could install a 60Kw shower near the Velux and turn off the water supply. Then it would fire out great jets of heat into your draughty loft space. :evil:

If you follow Pauls advice then you will need to uprate your mains supply capacity as most hones are only fed with a supply of 20-25 kW.

Tony

PaulAH said:

I think it is possible Paul was pulling your leg ;)

lol, yes even i knew it was a joke about the 60Kw shower :rolleyes:

Im running a baxi bermuda back boiler. The celing is covered in artex and i HATE it in fact the whole house is covered in artex. So maybe next year i will rip down the celing and fit kingspan insulation or something with a good U value in between the rafters. sort out the veluxwith some sticky brushes and stuff the eve storage with alot of rock wall! but for now i have many bodges else where in the house that need unbodging. We are having family down for christmas so i want the room to feel slightly comfertable. A good electric heater or oil filled rad will help im sure, just to take the chill off the room. Any1 know of a decent heater??? many thanks :eek:

JohnD_ said:
I'm with Chris. Draughtproofing is cheap an easy, and these days you might expect 150mm (6") of insulation, 15 years ago you might have had 50mm (2") or less. It will need to be between the board lining of the loft and the tilers felt.

The difference thick insulation will make is staggering (did my first, old, uninsulated house and was amazed). If you just add more heating you will be throwing money out of the drafts and tiles and it will never be comfortable.
arnt rafters normaly 4" (100mm)

No pearls of wisdom to be deployed in electric heater selection I think. I see a lot of busted boilers and cold houses so carry a couple of 2-3kW fan heaters. They're small and heat rooms quickly but noisily. The Argos DeLonghi type oil filled rads are better if you aren't in such a hurry. They can have stats and timers. They get very hot so you feel comfortable in the radiation from them though they're primarily convectors of course. Could be too hot for small kids.

yes keeping a couple of heaters in a cupboard is a great idea incase the worst happens. Im actualy debating to pay for British Gas boiler maintainence which is 12 pounds a month as my boiler is a good solid baxi but is near on 25 years old now so if on christmas day it give up the ghost im up the smelly brown creek with only my hands to paddle with! I will get down to argos or b&q on the morrow to pick me up some heat..... thanks agen u lot

can any1 give an opinion about convector heaters?? are wall mounale ones any good or floor standing (as heat risies). :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back