Loft Conversion - Where would you run the electics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loft conversion, with insulated stud walls on all sides, would you run wires under the floor boards, or keep them all in the stud walls? The new circuits enter under the eaves, so either works I think.

I don't have an electrician sorted yet to check, but I could start fixing the floorboards down if the socket and light circuits are all going in the stud walls.

Just interested in how it would normally be done, so I can work out when I need to fit the electrics in.

Sponsored Links
Either could be used, but if an electrician is to be involved, you need to ask them.
No one here can possibly know what they will do.

Some access under what will be the new floor will be required probably because;
You will probably be required to fit a mains interlinked smoke alarm upstairs and downstairs.
You may have a 2way landing light switch which needs going downstairs somewhere.
The existing downstairs wiring may be a bit rubbish, and needs doing at the same time.

It's also likely some existing wiring will be in the way of the new joists.

Sponsored Links
We rewired the house 5 years ago with an eye on the loft so we fitted smoke detection in every room, including the loft at the time. We ran light and socket circuits to the loft as well as a whatever amp circuit for an electric shower. The new floor is in and all the existing wiring is out of the way and we fitted two-way switching for the landing below lighting back then too.

I think we do need to do something with that to get the wires moved to the correct spot and we may need to add two way switching for the light above the stairs, so there's probably a bit of work there that needs the floor up.

I've been having a look at the floor properly this afternoon and I think there's a bit of messing about to do with tidying up a few of the joists levels and I could do with having the boards cut and covering the whole space while I carry on with the job, so I think I'm going to cut the boards, but just run two screws in now and lift them again later. That'll give me a bit of breathing space for the electrics and plumbing, which I coudl use at the moment as things are quite hectic without having to fit those in before getting the last of the structural work sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back