Loft Conversion

Sponsored Links
They can be spliced, so you can get them up in sections; but that does need designing by an SE, not Woody :LOL: .

Now, now you know that that is incorrect. They do not need redesigning every time, all I do, is just change the address from one I did a few years ago in uni. If you scribble the writing like an engineer does, then no one understands it and the BCO just ticks the paper.

Don't believe all this nonsense that beams have to be designed - its just what the SE's say to keep them in a job as they have nothing to fall back on otherwise - unlike the multi-disciplinary surveying profession who can do beam calcs in the morning, a survey in that afternoon, and some ground samples on the way home - and then answer damp questions all night :p

Just splice it with 15mm plates and 8 bolts. Sorted :cool:

Sponsored Links
Update
All boards and joist ordered coming Tuesday Velux's ordered and steel ordered will take some pics and post near end of next week. Stairs to be designed when floor is complete

Duzzer,

i'll keep a look in on your post if i can. won't be mutch help as it's too high up for me. had a good lol already on the woody bit.

i've been trying to pluck up courage to do my loft for a while. i found the following DIY exploits of interest.

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/index.htm

on the electrics you might be better posting in their part of the forum. i would keep the power and lighting separate but feel you should be able to use the immersion circuit for the power if you change to a lower fuse (MCB). i would then take the lighting as an extension to the up stairs lighting ring. (i try to avoid spurs if i can unless the length of extra cabling is excessive)

Update on loft so far
DSC01036.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

Next week will have rest of floor in also getting velux's fitted. And hopefully strairs will be made and fitted post some more pics next week.

Duzzer,

ace pics, really impressed.

couple of clarifications for my own use. is there a gap between the insulation and the felt going up the pitch. do the beam splices have to be above a structural wall support.

I hope someone designed that splice connection in the steels, if they're not over an internal support; also, that looks like a 203x102UB23, which I'd be surprised if it could be justified to span from party wall to party wall in a typical terrace.

That splice looks like it's more or less in the middle of the span, where the bending stresses are greatest, without going into the technical bits, the bottom bolt pair will be put into tension as well as direct shear (unless it is where the bending stress is maximum for the beam) and a couple of M16s will probably not be justifiable by calculation, so you might be ballsed if the BCO asks for justification.

Also, they are in 2mm clearance holes, so you will get a bit of slippage as the splice takes up the loading, which might cause some slight cracking in your finishes. Splices should have HSFG bolts, which don't slip (despite what Woody says about splices ;)).

Thanks for taking your time to post shy. Yes it's over a internal support wall. The pic with the wall behind it. The other side is sitting on a beam thats on the support wall and the chimney breast. I left the steel to my mate. So couldn't answer anything else on them. He does quite a few loft's so i'm assuming he's going off previous job's but don't take that as red. There no movement in them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back