1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Loft conversion

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Cliff 61, 17 Aug 2019.

1. Cliff 61

Cliff 61

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi I've just done a small loft conversion with a dormer which I was advised I could do under permitted development , I instructed independent inspector s and was told I could start 5 days after they submitted the application. I was also advised to get a certificate of lawfulness but was told all would be OK to start I waited 2 weeks before I started then started , I've now been refused the certificate of lawfulness because the permitted development has been removed in the area . I now have to submit a full planning application, how likely am I to get the permission now that the conversation is almost complete . Is there any advice on anything I can say to help my application. It's not in a conservation area

2. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Read your council's local policies for extensions and loft conversions. If what you have done conforms to those then it should be approved.

If not, before wringing the neck of whoever advised you, claim any losses off them - including the costs of plans for the planning application, the actual application is free.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @woods - I might be wrong, but I think they now might be charging for planning applications for work which would normally be PD, in the event that rights have been withdrawn - but not 100% sure....

@ OP, if your dormer would normally be permitted development, there is chance that it might be approved retrospectively, but do bear inmind that many LPAs don't like dormers, particularly ones with flat roofs. In the meantime, you need to update whoever advised you that 'it would be OK'. Is your property on a relatively new estate? - many LPAs withdraw permitted development rights on new developments so that they can keep a degree of control.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depends on the external appearance I suppose.
    If you are getting an architect to submit the planning application they would be able to submit a design statement outlining the merits of the proposals.
    (Commonly known as bullshit )

• Thanks Thanks x 2