Loft floor stilts for loft flooring

Sponsored Links
Sure, I searched but I dont have the time to trawl all the pages when the results come up. Plus... it never answered my question anyway.

i would not use them if they where free
they give point loading hey do not spread the load
and because they are not supporting a full edge the unsupported span is around 40% more because the distance off the span is diagonal between the supports
so not only do you have point loading with no joists to spread the load sideways you have a greater distance between supports

Sponsored Links
In principle it seems a good idea, but I did wonder if it could handle load spread over. But, if the stilts were close enough then surely support would be much better I'd have thought?

In principle it seems a good idea, but I did wonder if it could handle load spread over. But, if the stilts were close enough then surely support would be much better I'd have thought?

not really because you are only spreading the load mainly along the joists
yes it will transfer a bit sideways as the boards deflect and dip sending the load sideways but this is not ideal or helpfull
even if you reduce the "supports "to say 250mm to give the flooring the correct support the joists and flooring will still deflect as you dont have cross support

All I am looking to do is put empty suitcases in the loft and Christmas decorations. It won't be load bearing.

If not using stilts though, are there other kits out there to raise the floor above the insulation?

Thanks

Got round to finally installing them. Pretty decent. Going to put some edging along the back and sides to stop boxes being pushed off the side.

Before rushing into installing these, plan properly and make sure no cables that cross trusses are in the way or any other structural object. I found a few cables so had to adjust my flooring plan slightly. But anyway, I can now get Christmas decorations and luggage bags out the garage and thrown up there out the way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back