Loft flooring for storage only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to floor the loft of my house for storage only. Its a 1990s detached house with two steel I beams front and rear holding the roof (I presume). The joists to take the floor are 5"x2" at 16" centres (roughly).
I have three problems on which I need advice:
1) I am going to add insulation under the new floor. Which shoud I use? Currently there is loose spongy stuff there. I know to derate the cabling to current wiring regs, before anyone reminds me!
2) I need to move the access hatch and make it bigger but don't know where to get a door (Screwfix have two that are rather small).
3) What type of flooring should I use. There will not be much weight there but I don't want to put my foot through the floor when I go up.

Please help as my wife can't stop moaning that this project hasn't started yet!!!

Dylan.[/img]

Sponsored Links
dylsi said:
What type of flooring should I use. There will not be much weight there but I don't want to put my foot through the floor when I go up.
Can you get 18mm T&G P5 Grade (2400 x 600) through the loft because it will be cheaper then the loft flooring kits.
Put down 3"x1" flat across the joists in opposite direction to the centre width of the edge T&G board. This will clear any cable or pipe on top of joist and give you a cross air vent underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back