Flooring loft for storage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just bought my first house and i am wanting to re-insulate the loft, it looks aload of crap what is in there, and then put down some sort of flooring to make it easier to use the space for storage.

Anything i need to be aware of?

what is best to use for the flooring? MDF/laminate/chipboard sheets or something different? What thickness will i need?

and do i have to leave space or something to stop condensation???

Thanks for all your help!!

Sponsored Links
n3il101

You could use 18 mm T and G chipboard,

And you can floor the loft the quick way as in, putting the chipboards onto the ceiling joists and when you come across any cables ( eletrical ) you could notch the joist about 1/2 " so the cables are not sticking proud of the joist, so when you lay the flooring you don't nip the cables.

Thats the most common way diy'ers do it. I come across it many a time and theres been no problem of damp when i've had to lift it up.

The other way is put timber, 2" by 2" or 2" by 3" on top of your ceilin joists, the opposit way your joist are ( so in affect if you look down from above it would look like squares ) that way you would not need to notch the joists for cables ect.. and it would give you a gap ( depending what size insulation your putting in and the depth of your C, J are ),

Hope thats of any help, ;)

agree with markie, just make sure that you have the room to heave up the 600mm x 2400 sheets, up and through the hatch.

another point worth noting if you have thoughts in the future for a loft extension
you will have to rip out your good work and start again
as the joists need to be approximatly 8" by 2" dependant on spans ect
all work must comply with building regs ect
so in short if you fancy a loft extension at a later date comply with the regs now to reduce work later ;)

Sponsored Links
mmmm yes spot on markie :LOL: :LOL:
yes it didnt sound right when i typed it :D i just thought it was the several pint i had consumed yesterday :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks for that.

Theres no plans for a proper loft conversion (there just isn't the space/headroom) Its just a small terrace and we could do with the extra storage space.

Thinking of enlarging the hatch opening and installing one of those ladders that come down when you open it so its easier access and we don't have to trudge out to the garden shed to get a ladder any time we want to get anything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back