Loft Hatch Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have one of these loft hatches with the lock where you just push the hatch up to close and it fastens or you push it up further to open. Unfortunately, it doesn't now seem to work and I can't get it open however much I try to push the hatch up, it will only go up about half an inch and the lock doesn't free. Has anyone had this problem and any idea how I can get into the loft again please? Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Can you get a thin table knife blade where the lock tongue is, to maybe help flip it back?
Careful when wobbling about on the top of the step ladder :eek:
John :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you both for your replies. I tried the thin knife but didn't get anywhere with it. I will have to try again and I will have to break the hatch if I can't open it, then change the fitting for something more suitable. Yes, I really was wobbling on top of the ladder, it had to be right next to the top bannister but as my neighbour was in her garden, I left the back door open ready to shout out in case of toppling over down the stairs!

Sponsored Links
If you know anyone who is about 10 feet tall and owns an angle grinder with a 1mm slitting disc fitted, he'll get through the tongue of the lock in around 30 sec.....
Everyone should have one :D

I will have to try again and I will have to break the hatch if I can't open it, then change the fitting for something more suitable.

Might be worth trying to hit it a little harder - block wood to protect the finish, the hit the block with a hammer.

Thank you Burneman, I'll just have a look in my handbag. Yes, will try the hammer. Thank you both.

Maybe in the depths of the handbag you could come across a bolster chisel? The really broad blade can sometimes spread the gap between hatch and frame, releasing the catch.
Every handbag should have one :mrgreen:

Actually, I do have a bolster chisel but it's a bit heavy to carry around. I will try the broad blade and hammer, I'm just a bit worried about the hatch coming down on my head so will have to be very careful and attack out of range of the hatch coming down. Many thanks.

Hi Everyone, You will be very pleased to hear I'm sure, that I managed to open the loft hatch. After trying various options, I convinced it with a very big thump and down it came. The catch badly needed oiling so have done that now but thank you everyone for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back