loft insulation and ventilation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just read the post about condensation in lofts so this seems to be a timely question.
Earlier this year I was surveyed for free loft insulation and was told it could go ahead, but because I was subsequently away, I didn't get round to getting it installed. I recently called the same company (British Gas) to pick up the thread but was told it would need surveying again. Nothing has changed up there but this time the surveyor told me it was not suitable for two reasons.
1. Regulations prohibit the installation of insulation below a slate tiled roof that doesn't have ventilation as it will cause condensation. I get that. As I'm getting some roofing work don't I told him that I would ask my roofer to sort ventilation. He said it wouldn't make any difference because:
2. My two bedrooms below the loft each have about 2ft of sloping ceiling into the eaves. He told me that insulating the rest of the loft would create cold spots in these inaccessible areas and that I needed to take down the plasterboard ceiling and insulate these areas from the bedroom side.
He said they were not new rules and didn't know why one surveyor said it was okay and the other didn't but I'm wondering what I should do. I currently have 100mm between the joists and 75mm over the boards. He suggested laying my own insulation would be my best solution, but I don't want to create a problem. Are there any other solutions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Missing some details here.

Condensation within the roof will be avoided by the aformentioned ventillation.

Not insulating the sloping areas will not cause cold spots, they are already cold. I would argue to insulate them (do it properly), but can't see how it will cause problems if you don't. Unless that sloping area is currently ventillated and insulation added elsewhere blocks this.

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe the sloping area has been previoulsy insulated and I've never had a problem there. I'll get ventilation tiles as suggested. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back