Loft Insulation, is it worth it?

Freddie, no.
I became interested in insulation some years ago, when I discovered closed cell insulation, I saw the benefits and gutted my first house, lining the walls and ceilings with inch thick polystyrene, glued to the walls to avoid breaks in the insulation. It worked very well indeed, reducing my fuel bills way below those of the five other identical houses in our row.

The only downside, was where I had nailed the plasterboards, the nails conducted the heat through the polystyrene into the wooden joists forming a cold patch under the plaster and after a while you could see each nail head as a grey spot.

At the time, the sprayed foam had a bad press, because of the way it was/and is applied. I would not recommend sprayed foam under tiles or slates, because of that.

However, covering a roof totally with five inches of polystyrene and then laying two inches of light weight re-in forced concrete over that does an almost perfect job.
Perry

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back