Loft insulation - kingspan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can give me some sensible advice. It's starting to get cold and my roof is woefully uninsulated. However, we use it for storage and i'm keen to avoid filling the roof with rockwool. The floor is currently boarded and has no more than 100mm of rockwool stuffed underneath the boards.

I have found a supplier of seconds kingspan boards (1.2x0.6m - so they fit in the loft) and 110mm thick. The boards do not have a foil coating. I was thinking of tiling these across the boarded floor and just storing the stuff on top.

In practical terms, i'm not worried about walking on these boards so I wouldn't both to cover them up. While we store stuff up in the loft, we don't go up there very often.

So:

1. is there any reason that these boards would not be suitable? (flammability?) If so, is there any solution to this (covering them up?)

2. is this enough insulation?

3. have I missed anything or are there any better suggestions?

All help gratefully received!

Dan

Sponsored Links
The kingspan is very roughly twice the efficiency in insulation terms as the fibreglass. So you would have the equivalent of about 300mm fibreglass up there.
If you don't go up there too often, can't see a problem with treading on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back