Foiled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to insulate part of the loft floor - under an area to be boarded - with Kingspan tp10.

Does it make any difference whether I use the foiled stuff or not? Which is better for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
Probably very little difference, can you even get kspan unfoiled?

the foil acts a a vapour barrier.

it may be significant particularly if the existing ceiling plasterboards are plain backed. any joins would need to be taped with foil tape also.

Not sure whether they do unfoiled. Maybe I was looking at something else.

You don't lay a vapour barrier with normal loft insulation, so I guess my question is whether or not the vapour barrier will cause problems with condensation in the rooms below? Basically is foil backed urethane a bad choice of product for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
a vapour barrier at loft ceiling level is to prevent moist air entering the loft from habitable rooms below.

As he's only doing part of, and not all the ceiling, surely it's a moot point?

Many lath and plaster ceiling about with no VB

As he's only doing part of, and not all the ceiling, surely it's a moot point?

Many lath and plaster ceiling about with no VB

indeed Deluks indeed.

i see it as a step in the right direction.:cool:

but as you say, there is no point in making a silk purse out or a sows ear.

The foil adds to the insulation value of the board, and is not there as a vapour barrier - but does forms one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back