Loft insulation width problem

Thank you John,I know this seems a daft question but having never seen what condensation looks like in unsulation what would I expect to find when I lift the boards if there was condensation.

For more minor and occasional condensation you might just see the signs that it had occured at some point but had dried out - the boards might be dry but over time will become water stained and darkened. This is also sometimes seen on the top of insulation. Over 15-20 years or so the top of the insulation turns quite dark and takes on a crusty surface. For more serious occurences you will find the boards damp and for very serious stuff it will be soaking wet and will smell musty - or worse.

The technical test is with a decent quality damp meter. A moisture content above about 16% indicates some dampness above normal atmospheric. MC above 20-21%...ish will cause timber to decay and could bring on dry rot if the temperature range is right.

Sponsored Links
Thank you John and everyone else for your valuable advice on my problem, I will now sit down and work out which way to go, and hopefully get it done this summer.

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back