LOFT JOISTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if you can lay a floor on 3x2 joist and then use it as a load bearing structure , I am wanting to turn the loft into a play room , and need to know if I am going to need them all replacing , my husband thinks they need to be bigger than 3x2, Many thanks
Diane

Sponsored Links
9X2 for a supporting floor---3x2 would barely support the ceiling, should be 4x2

MANY THANKS FOR THE REPLIES "OH I HATE IT WHEN HE IS RIGHT " GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ....
MANY THANKS AGAIN DIANE XXX

Sponsored Links
see the answer is Didibear, dont argue cause we being a superior species know best :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

you couldny use 3x2 for ceilings on any span, well you arent supposed to

Thanks Wickerman I must have forgotten myself for a moment .... Imagine me thinking I was as clever as a man .... My man is irish too it must me something you were all fed on as babies that got you all to be Smart A**'s he he he ..
Diane xxx

yes masona I would be getting permission I just wanted to see how big a job I was looking at first .
Diane xxx

wickerman:
you couldny use 3x2 for ceilings on any span,
I expect my books on the building regs are out of date now 'cos I don't do a lot now, but that size is specified in my tables for floor joists, as is 3x1.5.
You quoted 9x2, and you may be right, but without knowing the span and spacing you may be over or under specifying.

I'm thinking maybe this 3"x2" joists is part of the gang nail roof trusses.

Normally 9"x3" joist for loft conversion as it have to take the weight of the roof and 3 joists bolted together on the stairscase trimmer.

Didbear, i was beginning to like you, but to refer to me as being IRISH, :evil: i have killed for far less, how could you insult me after trying to give you help, its a good job you never called me Welsh i can tell you. :LOL:

As regards the joists, i wouldnt want anything less than 9x2 to support a floor/room----9x3 well thats purlin, i suppose you can put them in but you would have fun straightening them up, :LOL: you could park a truck on them and they wont budge

nearly all victorian houses will have 3x2 ceiling ties and even some small floors ie my bathroom has a 6 foot span and has only 3x2 floor joists though originaly it may have been roof space.
the size of timber required depends entirely on the span and spacing and exact builing regs are http://www.salford.gov.uk/timber-floors.pdf or as a rule of thumb for 50mm timber take the span in feet divde by two and then add 1 for the timber size in inches.

Thanks Chappers for your reply ,looks like you are all saying the same thing that my joists are way too small to hold a floor,
The span to the middle support wall is 16 ft and the spacing is 400mm, We have had a look on the salford regs , chappers are you a builder in the Salford area ??
Thanks again to you all for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back