Loft ladder for a hatch that's the wrong way round...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I've just moved in to a place with the most infuriating loft. It is a massive space up there but there are some really annoying drawbacks.

• The only hatch is in a small bathroom.
  • The hatch is the wrong way round (meaning the long edge is across the room)
  • The hatch is right at the point where the eaves are so really low clearance
  • All the ceilings are original lathe and plaster so not easy to fit a new one
I want a loft ladder but everything I can find needs fitting to the short edge of a hatch. I can't do this because the ladder would then open to a sink one side and a towel rail on the other. Also the clearance up there is poor so a normal loft ladder just won't fit.

The short edge is 580mm and the long edge is 720mm.

Has anyone ever overcome such a tragic situation and managed to get in to their loft on something better than a dilapidated step ladder that is too short??

Sponsored Links
Can you move the hatch? Ours was originally a tiny hole with an awkward ladder. Now its a good sized hole that opens nicely onto the landing and can be operated one handed. Its was a pretty easy job. Just a bit messy

Sponsored Links
sack the bathroom hatch.
you want a hatch thats well big enough an with a pull down ladder.
dont open a hatch above the landing the stairwel drop is dangerous.
put the new hatch in a small bed room/boxroom an keep it towards the centre of the house - not tucked under the eaves - you need clearance height when enterin the loft an puttin stuff up there.

fix a permanent loft light with the neon isolator in the bedroom an local switch in the loft itself.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back