Loft ladder modification to make the angle less steep review

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning on modifying the ladder that goes into my my loft to make it less steep. I have attached a photo. I plane put new shorted elbow hinges in and then adding a folding extension onto the current bottom of the ladder.

Just wondering if anyone see any caveats with this plan, in terms of strength, stability etc

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240324_110819.jpg
    20240324_110819.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
I understand the angle of the steps will change as well but I'll modify those as well

The only downside I can think of is that you will put more strain on the existing hinges when climbing the ladder. Your's look's the same as our's and the hinges areas creak and groan already. I'd be a bit concerned about the securing screws pulling out of the sides of the ladder if more strain was applied.

OP,
Just saying but: Why not go for an entirely new loft ladder with rails?
It would be safer than adding on a section & altering tread angles.
Remember its a ladder not a flight of stairs &, as above, the further you stretch the ladder development the more you flatten the angle.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Just saying but: Why not go for an entirely new loft ladder with rails?
It would be safer than adding on a section & altering tread angles.
Remember its a ladder not a flight of stairs &, as above, the further you stretch the ladder development the more you flatten the angle.
I was thinking that, but I can't find any which have a shallow slope they all seem to be like the one already installed

Reducing the steepness will increase the bending forces that the side rails are subjected to. So the rails would need to be beefed up for safety.

Reducing the steepness will increase the bending forces that the side rails are subjected to. So the rails would need to be beefed up for safety.
You cannot do that with these ladders as they fold and all the strain is on the hinges

Just wondering if anyone see any caveats with this plan, in terms of strength, stability etc

The strength of any ladder, is dependent on the angle it leans at. The steeper, the more the load is passed straight down through the side rails, under compression. The shallower, the weaker the side rails are, and in your case you have elbow hinges, weakening the rails even more.

An additional problem, even if you get away with making the ladder less steep, is that you would likely bang your head on the ceiling, going up a shallow ladder.

So on several levels - not worth doing.

Poster #6,
FWIW: Perhaps you are mixing up the terms loft ladder stiles, and hand rails - there are no rails on the ladder in the pic.

You could just drop the ladder on a scrap of 4x2 or similar as that would change the angle without having to modify anything.

Poster #10,
If the angle of the ladder is changed then the angle of the treads is also changed.
Angling treads on a loft ladder with no rails & next to a stairwell is dangerous.

Setting the ladder stiles on a scrap of wood is circus clownish, & might be even more dangerous.

It would give the OP an idea of how it would change thing without ruining his loft ladders! there will always be some flexability, but I don't know how much the Op weighs or how nimble they are, If he doesn't like it he can always put a thinner piece of ply on the floor.

Poster #12,
I dont think you realise that what you are suggesting is dangerous?

Poster #13 , why do you think you know what people are thinking ?

Sounds nuts to me, leave it alone. They're all the same angle, for a reason. A shallower angle would mean you'd need a stronger ladder, not one with weaknesses from holes from drilled-out rivets. Quick calculation shows that if you change the angle from 4:1 to 3:1 you halve its weight-bearing ability.
What exactly this means -could cover a multitude:
I plane put new shorted elbow hinges in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back