Loft ladder tips back into hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a 3 part aluminium loft ladder fitted when I push it back into the loft it immediately starts to fall forward again. If I keep trying it it eventually stabilises. How can I get it to stabilise. I’m not keen on having the joiner who fitted it back again.

Sponsored Links
A photo would help, perhaps go in the loft get someone to close the hatch and take some pictures like that from inside as well as open.

Will do....the same person who fitted it also left a gap right round the hatch so I also have a draught to deal with☹️

My loft hatch, fitted by a previous owner, had a spring between the hatch and the ladder. This worked as a brake and also pushed the ladder over the arc when the hatch closed

I changed it when I raised the loft floor level with insulation

Sponsored Links
I haven’t made it into the loft to take a photo (hope to do that shortly)yet but there is like a metal u shaped thing screwed into loft floor (it was cheap one out of screwfix £59) I think it might be the problem but don’t know if I should unscrew it and move it forward - I don’t think it will go further back.

I had one like that in my old place, you just pushed it up till the weight laid it flat on the loft floor. I wonder if the stay they now have fitted is wrongly positioned.

CDF10EE7-09BF-4E41-8C5C-F74465F01266.jpeg 25490BB4-AD89-47A4-B0B9-D338A36094E0.jpeg I’ve been up in the loft and thought I’d try bending the thing that holds the ladder up - it seems to have worked.
Iwas going to move the catch but don’t know if there are cables under the flooring.
Now all I have to do is fill in the gap and cut the draught

Thanks for your replies - it is reassuring to know support is out there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back