Loft ladders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about fitting one... I have the standard 90's sort of opening with a plastic lid which has expanded polystyrene on top, opening in a boarded (chipboard) area.

Are these difficult to fit? Anything to watch out for?

Anything much to choose between these three?

Sponsored Links
You'll find they bugger the polystyrene on the trap door, but they're easy to fit, and I've done the first 2 without any problems, but I would say the 2nd one is feels more secure than the first one does. The 3rd one is only a 10 section, only handles a 2.67m height, but will be a bit more stable having only 2 sections, but will need more space in the loft.

Now, I'm not sure how adventurous you are, or how handy, but if you could extend the loft opening, then think out this one.

You'll find they bugger the polystyrene on the trap door

What, when in use you mean? Actually… that’s another thing I've just thought of. My “lid” isn't hinged or anything, and just kind of drops down into the opening. If it has to be converted to a hinged type, will I have to remove the kind of frame thingy it drops into at present?

And might that make for draughts…?

but will need more space in the loft.

Big, high pitched loft… didn’t quite get what you meant about the 3rd one though :confused:

Now, I'm not sure how adventurous you are, or how handy, but if you could extend the loft opening, then think out this one.

Fairly handy, but not AT ALL adventurous – in the 3 months since I moved into this house, I've had enough adventures to last me a lifetime :eek:

What, when in use you mean? Actually… that’s another thing I've just thought of. My “lid” isn't hinged or anything, and just kind of drops down into the opening. If it has to be converted to a hinged type, will I have to remove the kind of frame thingy it drops into at present?

Yes, the hinged lids with polystrene swing back against the ladder as it drops, and gets chewed up at the top, but you're type of trapdoor should be fine. Worst case scenario, is that you may need to pack out the back of the hatch opening to make sure the ladders clear the lip when they come down.

didn’t quite get what you meant about the 3rd one though

The ladder will push up and backwards, so depending on the layout of the loft, the 3rd one will lay further back than a 3 section ladder. I had a low loft to do once, and the hatch was close to the side, and as the ladder went up and backwards, it only just cleared the roof line.

I've had enough adventures to last me a lifetime

Fair enough, but that's the type I'll fit in the future; the treads are larger, and a lot more stable to climb. You do need to make sure the screws don't wear the fixing holes, so check them a couple of times a year, but they're the stablest in my opinion. The adventures can abate, but seldom go away, just hope they get easier for you.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the hinged lids with polystrene swing back against the ladder as it drops, and gets chewed up at the top, but you're type of trapdoor should be fine. Worst case scenario, is that you may need to pack out the back of the hatch opening to make sure the ladders clear the lip when they come down.

Cheers, but I don’t think I’m explaining myself (nothing new there…) what I mean is, at the moment, there’s a kind of plastic flange in the ceiling around the trapdoor opening, and the door just sits on that, to stop it dropping down into the hall.

To open the loft, I just lift the trapdoor up out of where it sits (it isn't attached, though there is a catch at one end), and set it over to one side, then climb through.

For the door to be able to swing down, I guess the plastic flange would have to be removed, which looks like it would leave at least a mess, at worst a draughty gap round the edge…?

IMAG1335.jpg
IMAG1334.jpg

Sorry Roger, but I did understand you, so possibly, you didn't understand me. You've got the push up and remove flap type, rather than the hinged at the back drop down type, but it's immaterial at the end of the day. In both cases, you need to make sure that when you fit the ladder, it can come down and miss the lip of the hatch. Come back when you get round to fitting it and we'll help from there.

AAAAAHHH, the penny's dropped - you mean I'd leave my loft door the way it is. That wouldn't work for me I'm afraid... to open the door, I'd have to get a chair to stand on, lift the door into the attic, then put the chair away and pull the ladder down...

I'll have to have a think.

Then you need to replace it with a drop down hinged one, that has a pole to unlock it, but is there much difference in the size. Think about the wooden one then; you pull the trap door down, and it brings the ladder with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back