loft ladder from Screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m thinking of fitting a loft ladder. Seen one that Screwfix does, it`s a 2section one.
It`s max load is 150kg and it has a hand rail, the couple of things i think i need from a loft ladder.
Should have said its made of Aluminium and would only be used once or twice a year.
Is there anything i should check or think about when looking to buy a loft ladder?
Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
The ladder will stow above the ceiling joists, so you need to ensure that it will not hit the eaves. This is not normally a problem if the hatch is somewhere in the middle of the loft.

Thanks for your reply kevnurse. Can i ask if anyone has one of these ladders and what do you think of them.
Pete

depends what you like

i have seen ali concertina ladders, wooded fold in half ladders, the ones you mention, ones similar to what you mnetion, but no hand rail.

best i have ever walked up is the fold in half wooden ladder (more steps than a ladder)

me. i have a step ladder that is also a ladder (one of them cheap £29.99 things) to me it feals more stable than the screwfix loft ladders

Sponsored Links
I installed one of the wooden ones that's more like steps than a ladder. It comes as a pre-assembled unit and does require at least two people to install, but in the end is worth it. Everything is counterbalanced with two big springs, so the hatch gently glides down when you open it and raises up with a gentle prod of the metal pole.

Putting one into an existing opening will probably be a lot more work, as it requires a big opening, but I was putting in a new opening so it was little more work than a more traditional hatch and ladder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back